Is actual grace Biblical?

So I have recently learned the difference between actual and sanctifying grace.

Is the idea of actual grace - that we get help or nudges by doing certain things - Biblical?

Any verses to reference?

Thank you!
Marc

Well, this Catholic Answers source has some biblical citations for actual grace: catholic.com/tracts/grace-what-it-is-and-what-it-does

On most browsers, use ctrl + f and type “actual” to find where it says this. (I will note that, for a Catholic resource, it spends a needless amount of time arguing against Protestants.)

First, actual grace is given to Help you do certain things, so chronologically it comes Before you do a good deed rather than after. Your description send to say it comes after you do something good, perhaps as a reward or something, and that’s not accurate, that would rather be a blessing.

Philippians 2:13 mentions actual grace: “God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”

Also 1 Cor. 15:10 – “by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them–yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.”

2 Cor. 9:8 – “God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work.”

Titus 2:11 – “the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.”

Ezra 9:8 – “for a little space grace hath been shewed from the Lord our God, to leave us a remnant to escape.”

Zechariah 12:10 – “And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications…and they shall mourn for [Jesus].”

Acts 20:32 – “I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up.”

2 Cor. 6:1-2 – “We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.”

2 Cor. 8:1-2 – “We want you to know, brethren, about the grace of God which has been shown in the churches of Macedo′nia, for in a severe test of affliction, their abundance of joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in a wealth of liberality on their part.”

Ephesians 3:8 – “this grace [is] given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ.”

Titus 2:11-12 – “the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.”

All of these passages speak of grace being given to people so that they’ll do a good deed. That’s what we mean by actual grace.

IMO The Parable of the Talents could reasonably have been entitled, The Parable of the Graces.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.