Is Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament idolatry?

At my home parish my pastor does not believe in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. We do not even have a monstrance in the building and the parish has been there for 26 years (same pastor).

I have not discussed this with him but someone in the know said that he thinks that adoration of the exposed sacrament is idolatry. If we need to pray before Our Blessed Lord, we can pray before the tabernacle (off on the side in the chapel.)

Now I am very involved with this parish and this is really the only disagreement I have with him. I am not going to make like a protestant and found my own church.

My question is what would cause a 62 year old pastor to believe that adoration is idolatry? As far as I know we have never sent a young man to the seminary, and I think this is one reason why, no adoration. credo

It’s only idolatry if the host is not consecrated. If it is consecrated, thus being truly and really the body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord, how could it be idolatry. This may be something you want to talk to him about.

The only reason I can think of—is if a person does not believe our Lord is truely present in Blessed Sacrament that is exposed for adoration.

I would suggest that you speak to your pastor–to find out if he really believes it is idolatry and why.

Yup I agree…speak to your pastor and find out his reasoning for this thinking…

Only people who don’t believe in the True Presence…Only people who do not believe it is actually the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ would believe that…if that is true about that particular priest…no wonder there are problems within the Church today.

And then if he believes this I would LEAVE that parish.

and lets not forget WRITE a LETTER to the BISHOP, POPE and anybody else…if this is true this man has NO BUSINESS being a PRIEST!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And show him this…
catholicexplorer.com/explore4325/atd/vatican-display-exhibits-.shtml

Of course not if the Eucharist is truly the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ how can it be idolatry?

“This IS my Body” not “this represents my body in a figurative non-literal metaphorical way”…

Such a belief would likely if not certainly invalidate the Masses he’s been purportedly saying :banghead:

But do ask him directly - whoever told you that may be mistaken.

Interesting.

So let me get this straight . . .

He believes that the Exposed Blessed Sacrament in a Monstrance is idolatry, yet . . .

He believes that worship to the Tabernacle isn’t . . .

Which one sounds like idolatry?

Worshipping the True Presence in the Exposed Host?

Or worshipping the Tabernacle that houses the Blessed Sacrament?

Eek. He needs a good talkin’ to at least.

And something in writing as well, with a CC to his Bishop.

I have no idea why a 62 year old priest, faithful to the magisterium, would promote this heresy. That is why I would hesitate to believe this until I spoke directly with him. I would do my homework - making sure I have with me the appropriate information from Church documents and the Catechism - and then make an appointment. The purpose of the appointment would be to volunteer to help set up a 24 hour Adoration Chapel.
Our parish did that 8 years ago. We regularly bring 20 to 40 people home to the Holy Mother Church each Easter Season and currently have 3 young men entering the seminary. I firmly believe it is because of the 24 hour Adoration Chapel.

Good luck and I will pray for you!

Thinking about this a little more, he probably thinks that a chapel with 10 people adoring becomes idolatry because lay people misunderstand what the Blessed Sacrament is. Maybe he should do a better job in the homily.

LSK said to set up a perpetual adoration chapel. I know for certain that will never happen, perpetual or otherwise. I do pray for my pastor everyday as well as my bishop. credo

neither OP nor anyone else has reported what the priest in question has actually done, said or taught, all we have is hearsay and speculation. would not a logical first step for one if his parishioners be to simply ASK the priest why the parish does not offer adoration?

Actually I think almost everyone said to talk to the priest, and those that didn’t were going off the title of the thread and responding no Adoration fo the Blessed Sacrament isn’t idolatry…

I think like ten people have stated to talk to the priest in question already…

I don’t know how it is done in your Diocese, but here, A Priest is moved around every 6 years. A Priest can do 12 years(2 six-year terms). I think the Arch-Bishop has the 3-day-old-fish policy. People need change. Maybe that is why some Catholics are getting bored and stale in their faith. They are stuck with the same Priest forever.

1. I would also consult the Pastoral Council.

2. Consult the Arch-Bishop, your priest is screwed up(to use the words of Fr Larry Richards)

3. It’s not up to the Priest whether the church has a Monstrous or not. It’s up to the elected officials of the Pastoral Council. This might present a Problem if your Pastoral Council holds the Priest up on a Pedestal and are Yes-men and do whatever the Priest says regardless.

4. If your Priest is a Dictator, then you have more of a serious problem.

A point to ponder. Not a few of those enamored with the Christology from Below theory of theology despise such practices as Benediction and Adorations because they focus on Christ present in the Blessed Sacrament instead of focusing on Christ present in the Community. Sounds screwy but it is true. Given the age of the pastor, it would seem to me that he was ordained after Vatican II when this theory started to become popular. So my best guess is that he feels that such practices tend to disrupt the community that this new theology promotes.

I could be wrong, but I think that would be the answer in this case.

Gratia et pax vobiscum,

Lex orandi, lex credendi

Gratias

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.