Is Allah the same as Jehovah?

I need a very specific answer to a very specific question. I have already gathered peripheral material, so general sources will not be of much use, I’m afraid. Is there anyone who can point me to a Church document (or qualified apologist) which speaks to the question of whether or not the Muslim god Allah is the same god as our Jehova (Yahweh, etc.)?

I am in the middle of an intense discussion with someone about this, and I honestly do not know the answer. I know what the CCC says, out of Lumen Gentium, but that is not quite specific enough for me. I’m sorry I don’t have much time to research it here myself, because it’s likely been discussed in another thread.

Please post any sources you have. Thanks so much! :wave:

Mary

The muslims call God Allah, and the Jw’s call Him Jehovah. Gods real name is Yahweh. That is how He
identified Himself to the Isrealites, not by Allah, and not
byJehovah. You can read the book by Jason Evert called
"Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses" it explains about the
name Jehovah. Whether or not God accepts the name
Allah, or Jehovah is up to Him. To me, His name is Yahweh. I also think there are protestants that believe His name is Jehovah.

[quote=surfinpure]I need a very specific answer to a very specific question. I have already gathered peripheral material, so general sources will not be of much use, I’m afraid. Is there anyone who can point me to a Church document (or qualified apologist) which speaks to the question of whether or not the Muslim god Allah is the same god as our Jehova (Yahweh, etc.)?

I am in the middle of an intense discussion with someone about this, and I honestly do not know the answer. I know what the CCC says, out of Lumen Gentium, but that is not quite specific enough for me. I’m sorry I don’t have much time to research it here myself, because it’s likely been discussed in another thread.

Mary
[/quote]

The Catholic Church teaches that the Muslims worship the same God as us but do so illicitly.
t

As to 'we don’t call our God ‘Allah’…yes, we do : Maronite Catholics do call Our Lord ‘Allah’, because they are usually from Arab/Lebanese origin and ‘Allah’ simply means ‘Lord’.

As to whether we pray to the same God, Heaven knows :rolleyes: …

Anna x

Let’s see Jehovah has a Son, Allah does not.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]Let’s see Jehovah has a Son, Allah does not.
[/quote]

You need to read Dominus Iesus and Lumen Gentium. The Church does believe that muslims worship the same God as we do. The Church just would say that muslims misunderstand God and worship him illicitlly.

[quote=surfinpure]I need a very specific answer to a very specific question. I have already gathered peripheral material, so general sources will not be of much use, I’m afraid. Is there anyone who can point me to a Church document (or qualified apologist) which speaks to the question of whether or not the Muslim god Allah is the same god as our Jehova (Yahweh, etc.)?

Mary
[/quote]

JP 2 said we worship the same God…and yes we worship the same God in the sense that we worship the only CREATOR of this world…but is Allah the same God we worship? absolutely not. Is the Casablanca city the same as the Casablanca nightclub in Milano? no. Same name but different places. Mohammad claimed to follow the God of Abraham, Moses and Jesus…he clearly does not coz he contradicts their teachings.

can you find “bible codes” in Dominus Iesus and Lumen Gentium?

[quote=anna1978]As to 'we don’t call our God ‘Allah’…yes, we do : Maronite Catholics do call Our Lord ‘Allah’, because they are usually from Arab/Lebanese origin and ‘Allah’ simply means ‘Lord’.

the word Allah existed before islam.
[/quote]

Nominalist question…

If what you call a chair is a chair, but what I call a chair is really a baseball, is what I am calling a chair really a chair?

[quote=Daniel Marsh]can you find “bible codes” in Dominus Iesus and Lumen Gentium?
[/quote]

I am not sure if this is just a stupid coment or not. I hate to presume. But please, do enlighten me to the meaning of this.

[quote=LatinCat]You need to read Dominus Iesus and Lumen Gentium. The Church does believe that muslims worship the same God as we do. The Church just would say that muslims misunderstand God and worship him illicitlly.
[/quote]

Thank you, LatinCat, for being the only one to reply with the information I requested: a source. :slight_smile:

inJESUS, thank you also for the reply. Can you refer me to the quote from JPII? That would be most helpful.

To all, I’m afraid that without sources I cannot use any information given, not because I don’t believe you, but because “someone on the forums said so” is not going to be enough for the person with whom I’m discussing the matter. I have to be able to back up what I say.

[quote=Marilena]The muslims call God Allah, and the Jw’s call Him Jehovah. Gods real name is Yahweh. That is how He
identified Himself to the Isrealites, not by Allah, and not
byJehovah. You can read the book by Jason Evert called
"Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses" it explains about the
name Jehovah. Whether or not God accepts the name
Allah, or Jehovah is up to Him. To me, His name is Yahweh. I also think there are protestants that believe His name is Jehovah.
[/quote]

That’s an interesting tangent. I was always given to understand that since the in the Old Testament we are only given four letters, YHWH, whether we call God Yahweh or Jehovah (you can see how both come out of these four letters, after all) depends on the interpreter. Don’t the Jews call God Jehovah? And what about Elohim, El Shaddai, and all those other names? Am I completely misinformed here?

[quote=LatinCat]The Catholic Church teaches that the Muslims worship the same God as us but do so illicitly.
t
[/quote]

I would have to say that a little differently. I believe that Muslims **believe ** that they are worshiping the same deity as Abraham worshiped, but I would have to add that I also believe that they are in error, that Allah (as he is revealed in the Qur’an) is not Yahweh (as revealed in the Bible). There are just too many differences between the two deities, as revealed in their respective scriptures.

DaveBj

[quote=DaveBj]I would have to say that a little differently. I believe that Muslims **believe **that they are worshiping the same deity as Abraham worshiped, but I would have to add that I also believe that they are in error, that Allah (as he is revealed in the Qur’an) is not Yahweh (as revealed in the Bible). There are just too many differences between the two deities, as revealed in their respective scriptures.

DaveBj
[/quote]

Thank you for writing this, Dave. This is where our main difficulty lies, because my friend has read the Qur’an herself and quotes places in which Allah seems to deny the Trinity, instruct Muslims to kill Christians, etc. So our real question is how to reconcile what the Church says about there being room for Muslims in the plan of salvation based on their acknowledgment of God(CCC 841 and LG) and what the Qur’an says about Allah. It’s all very confounding to me at the moment.

I’m not sure, but maybe this is the quote inJesus has in mind?

“Some of the most beautiful names in the human language are given to the God of the Koran, but he is ultimately a God outside of the world, a God who is only Majesty, never Emmanuel, God-with-us. Islam is not a religion of redemption. There is no room for the Cross and the Resurrection. Jesus is mentioned, but only as a prophet who prepares for the last prophet, Muhammad. There is also mention of Mary, His Virgin Mother, but the tragedy of redemption is completely absent. For this reason not only the theology but also the anthropology of Islam is very distant from Christianity.”

Crossing the Threshold of Hope (Paperback)
by Pope John Paul II pages 92-93

[quote=Daniel Marsh]I’m not sure, but maybe this is the quote inJesus has in mind?

“Some of the most beautiful names in the human language are given to the God of the Koran, but he is ultimately a God outside of the world, a God who is only Majesty, never Emmanuel, God-with-us. Islam is not a religion of redemption. There is no room for the Cross and the Resurrection. Jesus is mentioned, but only as a prophet who prepares for the last prophet, Muhammad. There is also mention of Mary, His Virgin Mother, but the tragedy of redemption is completely absent. For this reason not only the theology but also the anthropology of Islam is very distant from Christianity.”

Crossing the Threshold of Hope (Paperback)
by Pope John Paul II pages 92-93
[/quote]

Thank you, Daniel. It is a helpful quote, because it tells me more about the Church’s impression of the Muslim God. I still don’t know whether or not he can be called the “same” God.

You are welcome

[quote=Daniel Marsh]You are welcome
[/quote]

no i took it from here :
justforcatholics.org/islam.htm

“The Church’s relationship with Muslims. ‘The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 841, quoting Lumen Gentium 16, November 21, 1964).

According to the Catechism, “together with us (Catholics) they (Muslims) adore the one, merciful God.” Pope John Paul II repeats this statement even more clearly. Addressing Muslim youths, the Pope said: “We believe in the same God, the one and only God, the living God, the God who creates worlds and brings creatures to their perfection” (What Dialogue Means for Catholics and Muslims, US Conference of Catholic Bishops, usccb.org/seia/brunett.htm)).

http://www.hagelpro.de/ebay/CatholicDrivingTooFast.jpg

hagelpro.de/ebay/CatholicDrivingTooFast.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.