Is America a Christian Nation? New Poll Suggests Few Americans View the US as a Christian Country

Jonathan Fromm, New York member of Communion and Liberation, carries a cross on the Brooklyn Bridge during the 19th annual “Way of the Cross Over the Brooklyn Bridge Ceremony” in New York City, April 18, 2014. The ceremony, hosted yearly on the Christian holy day of Good Friday, includes walking from St. James Cathedral, over the Brooklyn Bridge to St. Peter’s Church in Manhattan. The event attracts approximately 2,000 people each year.

A LifeWay Research survey from earlier this week has found that only 19 percent of respondents consider America to be a Christian nation. Furthermore, more respondents felt the U.S. is a welcoming place for atheists than for Muslims.

While only 19 percent identified America specifically as a Christian nation, close to 69 percent said that is a “Nation of Many Religions.” Another 9 percent suggested it is a secular nation.

Read more at christianpost.com/news/is-america-a-christian-nation-new-poll-suggests-few-americans-view-the-us-as-a-christian-country-142124/#4QxRRV80DIVoYExv.99

“Debate about whether America is a Christian nation will continue,” said Scott McConnell, LifeWay Research vice president. **“Although most Americans are Christians, **they understand a nation founded on principles of religious freedom will be a nation of many faiths.”

Regarding what I’ve bolded, I disagree with the notion that most Americans are Christian.

Really? The number of people in the US who self-identify as Christian IS decreasing, but as of 2014, it is still at 70+%. Have you read the Pew Foundation data?

nytimes.com/2015/05/12/upshot/big-drop-in-share-of-americans-calling-themselves-christian.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

It’s the ‘None’ who are on the rise.

I agree. We have Pastors in various liberal churches teaching against the Gospel regarding abortion, same sex marriage, and divorce and remarriage.

Mary.

So they aren’t the kinds of Christians you approve of, necessarily.

On the other hand, as conservatives are fond of boasting, liberal Christianity isn’t exactly booming in numbers.

Edwin

If they have a valid baptism, doesn’t the Church consider them Christian?

I would have to agree that the US is a country of many religions.

Yes, indeed. The US is a pluralistic country, with more influx of Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Buddhists, and other smaller faiths.

And I would imagine in the Pew Study, those who identified as Christian were everything from Christmas and Easter church-goers, to Mormons, to Unitarians. WHAT they believe and how they practice shouldn’t be up for discussion, should it?

Mary, you realize, don’t you, that liberal churches don’t really pay any attention (in the pulpit at least) to divorce and remarriage and abortion. It’s just not what clergy preach about.

Same sex marriage, on the other hand, probably comes up more often lately. I will give you that.

Mostly, clergy preach the Gospel. I can post links to Sunday sermons from various churches if you’d like.

America’s state religion is NOT Christianity. It’s hard to define what it actually is, since it’s so gooey, but it’s definitely nothing whatsoever having to do with Christian reality.

The US does not have a State Religion. It never did. Just the opposite. The poll suggests rather that few see the US as having a Christian identity.

And then the conversation went towards how many in the US identify themselves as Christian, and the numbers are in the over 70% range. But the question was asked what kind of Christian is being defined.

I’m not sure what you are saying, however. Are you speaking of a specific practice of Christianity (namely gooey) in the US?

Considering what ComplineSanFran said in regard to what liberal churches actually preach from the pulpit. I think what you mean is liberal Christian churches may not share some views or Scripture interpretation with Catholics or other more conservative minded Christians. But I had already figured that was the meaning of Stylteralmaldoat disagreeing with the notion that most Americans are Christian. Edwin made a point I think in saying they’re not the Christians you approve of necessarily.

:thumbsup:

The U.S. POPULATION can be considered majority “culturally Christian,” with maybe half of those being unchurched and disconnected from any kind of faith community. POLITICALLY, the U.S. may be officially neutral on religion but administratively is anti-Christian.

My view is that this is a Christian nation not because we have made it so in our own wisdom, but because God has ordained it. The proof that the divine hand is still upon us is that we are being mercifully disciplined from above just as ancient Israel was. I believe God can and will turn His nation around. He is tired of liberal leaders who will not listen. He is able to change anything including the president as long as there are still faithful Americans who are willing to believe and pray.:slight_smile:

We have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.

There are moral principles upheld by my Church Catholic regarding abortion, same sex marriage and others that I agree with.

Mary.

Which churches are these? It’s not that I don’t believe you but I’ve seen a similar statement from another person but never found out what churches they were talking about. Can you point me to a reference to this - I’m very curious if they are some of the churches that I think may be teaching these things.

Thanks and God bless, Mary,

Rita

A valid baptism does not make one a Christian as people fall away from the faith. Teaching that abortion, same-sex marriage and others of these liberal beliefs become reasons for the Christians involved with these churches to look closely at God’s Word and understand that their church teachings are not backed by Scriptures.

God bless!

Rita

Well said,
Mary.

So how does the Roman Catholic Church categorize a person who has been validly baptized, if not a Christian?

I’m not a RC so I’m not sure. I am only speaking from a Christian point of view and I believe I was alluding to those Christians who are involved with allowing same sex marriage and endorse abortions. Scriptures are clear as to what we should believe in regards to these and other socially progressive teachings in some of our churches.

God bless,

Rita

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.