Is "American Pie" innapropriate for a catholic?

Is it ok for me to watch this or should I not?

I had just finished my first semester of college (Franciscan U.) and was on fire for the Lord thanks to the wonderful campus culture and God’s grace. At a New Year’s party some (high school) friends put on this movie and I protested and went down stairs.

They protested my protest though, saying I had to see it and that it would be hilarious. So I reluctantly watched about 45 minutes of the movie until it finally reached the point that I knew that the devil was battling for my soul, tempting me to impurity and belitting human dignity through this movie.

I told my friends I had had enough and one of them actually tried to pin me down and force me to watch, at which point I jumped up, punched him, got in my car, and drove home. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Some friends. The whole “American Pie” trilogy should be avoided by decent people everywhere. Even the trailers grossed me out, when they we newly released in movie theatres. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the Pope Catholic?

Knowing who I was when I watched this movie, and who I am now, I would not watch the movie again… or at least without feeling guilty.

It would be a source of temptation for me. I can’t tell you what to do, but I would not suggest viewing the film–it is very crude, and it’s basically full of sex/bathroom humor.

American Pie is inappropriate for anyone. It’s not only morally repugnant, but it’s a ****** movie as well. Don’t waste your time like so many of us did.

What is the appeal with stupid teen sex movies like that? I mean, I have so far tolerated a lot of fan service and ecchi stuff on other movies and shows but junk flicks like American Pie really take tastelessness down to a whole new level of low-intelligence entertainment. -.-;;

Oh my, Talk about a generation gap! I thought you were talking about the song “American Pie”, which in my opinion, is brilliant.

Don’t know anything about the movie, but from the other poster’s comments, don’t waste your money!

Ew, please don’t. The crudeness is unbearable. :frowning:

I wouldn’t view this movie in the context as being an uplifting film that will help you form a good moral base. View this movie as pure entertainment, and as being repersentitive of a certain point of view on kids graduating from high school in the late 90’s. They’re fun films, go ahead and enjoy them for what they are. Some times you don’t to get anything more than some good entertainment out of a film.

I have had the misfortune of seeing “18 year old virgin” and I can tell you that was trashy. I only watched a few minutes of it, but still had to shield my eyes on several occasions. You’re right, it’s probably best not. A Christian friend lent me 2 American pie films, so i thought they may be different.

Of course, the show has sexual contents. And catholic churches are very sensitive about the issues of sex. But, they are not telling everyone that we shouldn’t watch it. It’s just that they are sensitive about this issues.

I always wondered about that line “And the three men I admire most, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, they caught the last train for the coast, the day the music died”. What’s that supposed to mean? Anyway, the song clearly borrows from some Christian imagery, I’m not sure it’s innapropriate but is kind of ambiguous (“we all got up to dance, but we never got the chance”) - probably more difficult for the Baptists than the Catholics - that’s what this thread is about, right? :confused:

If you will remove the word “Catholic” from the title and insert the words “rational human being” then the answer is an resounding YES. It is inappropriate.

The is about the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper in the same plane crash. I assume the father, son, and holy ghost, refers to them.

The American Pie being discussed is totally different:

imdb.com/title/tt0163651/

How could it be a good decision if you punched him? It wasn’t nice of them to try and make you watch a movie, but you were not better in resorting to violence.

There are literally hundreds of movies better than American Pie. Trash.

If you have to ask this question, you need a basic refresher course on the Catechism. With all due respect, of course.

Don McLean, the song-writer, was Catholic.

Father, Son and Holy Ghost referred to the Trinity,

Because this was the era of “God is dead”, I think Mclean’s euphemism of “left the coast” was a way of saying God is gone.

That is the story of the song I have read. Every single line has some reference to what was going on in the culture at that time.

Incredibly. It’s innapropriate for anyone really.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.