Is amillennialism a Catholic doctrine?

I see many forum members who are amillennial. Is this a doctrine of the Church?

What is definite that Catholics believe - de-fide if that there will not be a pre-tribulation “rapture of the church” and an actual physical reign of Jesus from a rebuilt temple in Jerusalem.

The concept of a pre-trib rapture was invented in the 19’th century and has no basis of fact in Tradition.

Ken

[quote=trumpet152]I see many forum members who are amillennial. Is this a doctrine of the Church?
[/quote]

What is amillennialism? And what do we Catholics have to believe about the end times?

[quote=Hegesippus]What is amillennialism? And what do we Catholics have to believe about the end times?
[/quote]

The first question I can answer to an extent. The second is what I also wish to know.

Amillenialism is the belief that the prophesied kingdom of Jesus and the Old Testament is being fulfilled now in the Church. It comes from the belief that Israel’s promises are to be fulfilled in the Church. It is in opposition to premillenialism, which believes that Jesus will come back to reign for a literal 1000 year kingdom on the earth, and postmillenialism, which believes that we are constantly getting better and bringing in the kingdom.

This article from the Catholic Encyclopedia: Millennium and Millenarianism looks like it will answer your question. :slight_smile:

[quote=trumpet152]I see many forum members who are amillennial. Is this a doctrine of the Church?
[/quote]

What is amillennialism?

[quote=Ignatius]What is amillennialism?
[/quote]

-No literal millenium kingdom
-Jesus reigns in heaven (or in hearts) during the kingdom instead of a literal reign on the Earth
-Kingdom prophesies in the Bible are fulfilled in the Church
-We are in the kingdom now.

The three main theories are amillenialism, aremillenialism, and aostmillenialism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.