Is an Anglican allowed to receive our sacraments?

My mother is an Anglican and she has been receiving our sacraments at a local Catholic church back home in the Philippines. I was wondering if this is allowed. Should my mother convert to the Catholic faith to receive our sacraments?

The Anglican church does not have valid Holy Orders, therefore, Eucharistic intercommunion is not possible.

The *Catechism of the Catholic Church * states the following:

“Ecclesial communities derived from the Reformation and separated from the Catholic Church, “have not preserved the proper reality of the Eucharistic mystery in its fullness, especially because of the absence of the sacrament of Holy Orders.” It is for this reason that, for the Catholic Church, Eucharistic intercommunion with these communities is not possible. However these ecclesial communities, “when they commemorate the Lord’s death and resurrection in the Holy Supper . . . profess that it signifies life in communion with Christ and await his coming in glory.”

The Church teaches that when a person receives Communion in the Catholic Church, he thereby declares that he is fully at one with the Catholic Church in her belief. A non-Catholic cannot make this declaration, and so his receiving Communion would say something that is not true. It would not be honest. In the same way, if a Catholic were to receive communion in the Anglican church or any other Protestant church, that person would be declaring his oneness with that denomination. And, that too, would be untrue.

Thus, your mother should not be receiving Communion in the Catholic Church. However, the good news is that you now have an opportunity to share the truths of the faith with your mom! I will be praying for you both.

Recommended reading:

How to Become a Catholic

Who Can Receive Communion

Affirming All Things
By Dwight Longenecker
(Conversion story–Anglican convert)

Ex-Anglican’s Conversion Story
By Owen Francis Dudley

Anglican Orders

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.