Is Anointing of the Sick okay during Mass?

I tried to post this in the Ask an Apologist forum but it timed out. I’m hoping it will work here.

This past Sunday, my parish had the Rite of Anointing of the Sick during Mass. The priest invited senior citizens, chronically infirm, and those about to undergo surgery to receive the Sacrament. A small army of parishioners (probably 40 or 50) approached the front of the church and received oil on their foreheads and palms. I had never heard of the Sacrament being given like this. Was this okay?

Also, our pastor said afterward that the Sacrament forgave all sin, just like Confession. Is this true? I had always thought that only Confession or perfect contrition could forgive mortal sin.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]I tried to post this in the Ask an Apologist forum but it timed out. I’m hoping it will work here.

This past Sunday, my parish had the Rite of Anointing of the Sick during Mass. The priest invited senior citizens, chronically infirm, and those about to undergo surgery to receive the Sacrament. A small army of parishioners (probably 40 or 50) approached the front of the church and received oil on their foreheads and palms. I had never heard of the Sacrament being given like this. Was this okay?

Also, our pastor said afterward that the Sacrament forgave all sin, just like Confession. Is this true? I had always thought that only Confession or perfect contrition could forgive mortal sin.
[/quote]

ALL the Sacraments are to be celebrated in the Community as much as possible. Penence services with individual celebration of the Sacrament are an example of Reconciliation taking place in the Community. Baptisms, Confirmation, Holy Orders are all public Sacraments as is Holy Communion. Even Marriage should take place with the whole parish Community invited.

Anointing of the Sick does forgive all sins for those who are unable to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation because of their condition such as being in a coma. It sounds to me that most walked down to receive this Sacrament so that would not apply to them. What should have happened is that the pastor should have announced a few weeks before. Anyone wishing to receive the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick on Feb 6th should go to Confession on Feb 5th.

Thanks for the clarification. What our pastor said, after the Sacrament, was this: “Even though we think of the Anointing of the Sick as a healing Sacrament, it also forgives all sins.” He then turned to those who had just received the anointing and said “So you guys are all in good shape.” It seemed to me he was saying that they didn’t need to go to Confession.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Thanks for the clarification. What our pastor said, after the Sacrament, was this: “Even though we think of the Anointing of the Sick as a healing Sacrament, it also forgives all sins.” He then turned to those who had just received the anointing and said “So you guys are all in good shape.” It seemed to me he was saying that they didn’t need to go to Confession.
[/quote]

He seriously misguided anyone who heard him especially those who now think that their Mortal sins are forgiven and that they no longer have the obligation to go to Reconciliation. For those who are able to receive it the Sacrament of Reconciliation with individual confession and absolution is the ONLY way to be forgiven of Mortal sin.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]He seriously misguided anyone who heard him especially those who now think that their Mortal sins are forgiven and that they no longer have the obligation to go to Reconciliation. For those who are able to receive it the Sacrament of Reconciliation with individual confession and absolution is the ONLY way to be forgiven of Mortal sin.
[/quote]

I think that there might have been a misunderstanding regarding the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick.

At the present time, because I have arthritis and other problems I receive this Sacrament once a month at a Healing Mass that is held on the First Friday of the month. The Mass has all of the proper prayers for the anointing of the sick. When we approach to receive the Sacrament, there is a prayer that is recited and yes, all sins are forgiven upon that anointing.

However, anyone who has serious sin should go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

I will leave those who have the knowledge to give further information regarding the necessity of the Sacrament of Reconciliation as well as of the Anointing of the Sick.

MaggieOH

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.