Is Anti-Catholicism on the rise by the News media?

Since Bill Maher’s comment, do you think remarks against Catholicism is on the rise?

Can you give a link to his latest insult? And yes, anti-Catholicism is on the rise. It has gotten so bad that I would have to say that the Church of Christ (Catholic) is under direct attack from the far left under the guise of freedom of speech and the gay rights movement.

He said something about the Pope being a Nazi back in April… I was deployed at the time and was not aware of it.

Ha,your funny,the main media has always been anti-Catholic…for we are the only…ONLY opposition to their movement…total compliance…in the world! After the rotten Davinci code came out so many of the channels had shows with the word ‘code’ included…this to further the conditioning process where in the average drone is kept aware of the ‘truth’ of the untruth of the RCC down thru the ages! How many times is a member of the clergy portrayed as not only spiritual but wholesome,practical, a sense of humor and just fun to be with…instead we have movies that have ,in real life a person who had three abortions…Whoopee…play a role showing how the poor nuns just need help in singing etc. One of the worst movies of all time in this genre was …Inherit the Wind…supposidly about the Scopes trial.ie Monkey trial.the white southeners are of course seen as bigots…Darrow played by red -fronter Spencer Tracy outsmarts W.J.Bryan making a fool out of him on the bench…only thing is this never happened…they never debated and just before Bryan was to be called ,Darrow pleaded guilty ,paid the fee and left…this proved to be a milestone in that evolution was then allowed to be taught as ‘fact’ and the little town became a tourist attraction which was the purpose of the whole silly business.

Actually, America historically has been very Anti-Catholic, but it tapered off for a while. Now it seems to be back on the rise though.

Its nothing new…its been going on nearly as long as the US has been in existence. Here is a link to some of the people who foster much of the nonsense: www2.trincoll.edu/~dcruzuri/anti-catholic/religious.html

This is an article about a fellow who wrote a book called “Anti-Catholicism…the last acceptable prejudice”. beliefnet.com/story/128/story_12800_1.html

Catholics need to start “voting and speaking” with their wallets. Economic boycotts of products, stores and products owned or produced by anti-Catholics have no place in our lives.

These people do not know Christ. if they did they would understand that by persecuting the Body(Church) they are also persecuting the Head(Christ).

"I should not believe the Gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church."
Saint Augustine (354-430), Against the Letter of Mani, 5,6, 397 A.D…

Yes. The media has become more and more outspoken in its support of the Culture of Death, which has brought it more and more into opposition with the Church.

For the most recent example, look at how the media treated Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi’s public support for abortion in contradiction to the teachings of the Church they claim to be part of, as opposed to John McCain and Sarah Palin’s pro-life stance. Can anyone point to one instance where the mainstream media in America took Barack Obama to task for not placing a pro-life Democrat on his ticket? There are many where “concerns” were raised about the GOP ticket being “too pro-life”.

Litmus tests on abortion go one way with the media—the opposite way the grain runs in the Church.

Widespread anti-Christian bias in the media means that groups like The Christian Institute face an “uphill struggle” for fair coverage, says a Sky News journalist.
Journalists select the information they wish to report based on a largely anti-Christian ideology, says David Blevins, a former Washington correspondent for Sky News.
Mr Blevins made his comments on Christian blog, To Whom It May Concern. When asked if the media in America and the UK understands evangelical Christians, he said:
“Not at all. It’s important to remember that what appears in the newspapers is not an objective summary of the significant things that happened yesterday but an ideological selection based on the prejudices, agendas and assumptions of a relatively small group of people.
“Their ideology could be loosely defined as ‘progress will one day meet our needs.’ So as with other forms of thought that deviate from that ideological view, evangelical Christianity is either dismissed out of hand or reported in a manner that serves to reinforce the ideology!
“‘Religion’ is viewed as obscure, life-denying and regressive. Organisations like Evangelical Alliance and the Christian Institute face an uphill struggle to change that perception.”
Last month, John Smeaton of the Society for the Protection of the Unborn Child accused The Times newspaper of a “blatant bias on life issues”.
In 2006 executives at the BBC admitted that they would consider broadcasting a scene where the Bible was thrown away but they would never do the same with the Koran.
Robin Aitken, a former BBC reporter, has written a book on the subject. He names Christians among the BBC’s “in-house pariah groups”.
“These people,” he says, “will never get the soft interview or helpful publicity.”
Former Chief Political Correspondent, Andrew Marr, has said that the BBC has a “liberal bias” and is staffed by an “abnormally large number” of gays.
Archbishop John Sentamu said in 2006 that Christians took “more knocks” in BBC programmes than other faiths.
He added: “They can do to us what they dare not do to the Muslims. We are fair game because they can get away with it.”

Luke 13: 22-30

Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few people be saved?” He answered them,

"Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough.

After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, ‘Lord, open the door for us.’ He will say to you in reply, ‘I do not know where you are from.’

And you will say, ‘We ate and drank in your company and you taught in our streets.’

Then he will say to you, ‘I do not know where (you) are from. Depart from me, all you evildoers!’

And there will be wailing and grinding of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God and you yourselves cast out.

And people will come from the east and the west and from the north and the south and will recline at table in the kingdom of God.

For behold, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last."

Matthew 7: 13-14

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many.

How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few. "

As I watch the anti-christian media everyday these two passages always play in my head and re-assure me not to worry about them. Those who are against the Church are against Jesus and will be cast out into the fire. Try and save as many as you can since this is what we do as Catholics and as Christians and don’t focus and worry on the evilness of their words and deeds. For many will be Anti-Christian just as people were anti-Jesus when he was alive.

Anti-catholicism has always been on the rise, and it’ll never go away until Jesus comes again in glory to judge the living and the dead. So if you want help stop anti-catholicism, pray the Our Father each day. A Hail Mary also would be good to pray each day, since Mary is the most powerful being after the Lord.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.