Is any hormonal BC non-abortifacient?

My doctor suspects I have endometriosis. Is there any hormonal treatment that won't abort a baby if one is conceived? I know I can take ABC for medical reasons, but I can't stand the thought of killing my child. I used to think that forms of the Pill that were not the Mini-Pill were safe, but lately I am reading that no Pill is safe--is this correct?

Thanks.

Your doctor should be able to answer this, and there probably are pills that are safer than other pills. One reason this is so controversial is because there's no real proof either way. That's actually good news, as it indicates that an abortion is highly unlikely, else it would be proven. Which leads me to suggest that nothing in life is 100% safe. You could get hit by a car crossing the street. Many kinds of medicine, and even some foods (e.g. those with Laetrile or stimulants) can cause abortion. Even some lifestyles can contribute to "natural" abortion. So, I think what you need to do is act in good faith and weigh your medical need with the low odds.

Remember, you're not taking it for birth control. There may be a thousand popular drugs more likely to cause a fertilized egg not to implant. But, no one is concerned about that because these drugs are not taken for birth control. The fact is, there are a lot of drugs far more hazardous to unborn babies that birth control pills. They are known to damage or kill unborn babies, so the label says "do not take if pregnant." Low-dose birth control pills are relatively harmless to a baby, at least after it is implanted, if not before.

Also, remember, the primary way birth control works is by stopping ovulation, as if the body is pregnant. The second mode of action is by preventing the sperm from getting into the uterus by thickening the mucus. Abortion is not a known mechanism.

As I understand it, there is some thought that endometriosis may itself make the uterus hostile to implantation. Of course, that does not mean there is an issue in terms of medical ethics--there is no moral imperative to treat infertility--but it could mean that taking the medications could make it less likely that a viable embryo would fail to implant at some time in your future. IOW, the net effect of taking the medication could be to lower the risk to all future pregnancies. (You'd have to ask your doctor.)

[quote="Karen10, post:1, topic:221865"]
My doctor suspects I have endometriosis. Is there any hormonal treatment that won't abort a baby if one is conceived? I know I can take ABC for medical reasons, but I can't stand the thought of killing my child. I used to think that forms of the Pill that were not the Mini-Pill were safe, but lately I am reading that no Pill is safe--is this correct?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Remember above all it is important to talk to your physician about all of this. She/he has the experience and will best be able to answer your questions.

When you say no Pill is "safe," do you mean safe from abortion? If so, then you are correct. The primary way BC pills work is by suppressing ovulation, which does NOT involve any abortifacient actions. However, a secondary way they work (should ovulation occur) is though "transforming a proliferative endometrium into a secretory endometrium," which basically means the endometrial lining will be highly unlikely to allow a fertilized egg to implant (thereby aborting it).

It is true though that you could take the Pill since you would be using it for medicinal purposes and not for contraceptive purposes. As an alternative, maybe you could try taking an NSAID (e.g. Aleve--naproxen, Motrin--ibuprofen, Mobic--meloxicam, etc...) if your endometriosis is not too severe. These anti-inflammatory medicines are designed to reduce bleeding, inflammation, and pain. If you do not have a severe form of the disease, maybe you could speak to your doctor about starting with one of these medications instead.

[quote="bellringer06, post:4, topic:221865"]

However, a secondary way they work (should ovulation occur) is though "transforming a proliferative endometrium into a secretory endometrium," which basically means the endometrial lining will be highly unlikely to allow a fertilized egg to implant (thereby aborting it).

[/quote]

Sorry, I forgot to cite the mechanism of action from my previous post. This statement came from online.lexi.com/crlsql/servlet/crlonline which is a very reliable and accurate drug information web site.

...Or as a last resort you could try using some sort of barrier method to ensure that a pregnancy does not accidentally happen, therefore not having to worry so much about harming a newly conceived baby.

You might try getting in touch with the Pope Paul VI Institute, or one of their affiliates. (They specialize in treating female reproductive problems, including endo, and they're very pro-life. I'm sure they could help you find a treatment you'd be comfortable with!)

popepaulvi.com/

Debora,

Let me start off by saying please dont take this as an attack. I dont intend to start anything, just to provide a gentle correction.

You may disagree with the Church's teaching on birth control, but you really should not be telling people to use methods that are in opposition to it. Leading someone down the path of sin is a grave sin in and of itself.

This is a Catholic site where people come to get advice from the Catholic perspective, not what you think the Catholic perspective should be.

[quote="Karen10, post:1, topic:221865"]

Thanks.

[/quote]

Most of the original pills from the 60s and 70s are not, it's the newer ones that are "more effective" that add the drug to make the uterus inhospitable. Check with you Dr but I'm sure there are some lists online as well.

Joe

Amen, Trigger.

[quote="Trigger06, post:8, topic:221865"]
Debora,

Let me start off by saying please dont take this as an attack. I dont intend to start anything, just to provide a gentle correction.

You may disagree with the Church's teaching on birth control, but you really should not be telling people to use methods that are in opposition to it. Leading someone down the path of sin is a grave sin in and of itself.

This is a Catholic site where people come to get advice from the Catholic perspective, not what you think the Catholic perspective should be.

[/quote]

???

I just figured it was a better option then having to worry about ending a newly conceived pregnancy. And I did state it as a last resort.

I know as of late I have been talking to my doctor about treatment for dysmenhorhea - she is pushing for treatment by ABC - but she is not an NFP doctor - I am restricted to VA. The best she can come up with is to do low dose hormones that she would not prescribe to someone for birth control. When I told her I was uncomfortable with that without going through all other options she told me it was up to me to research other options and then she would look into them. Personally IMO even though I am not sexually active as I am separated about to be divorced and hopefully receiving a decree of nullity - I also feel that by taking the "band aid" solution I do two things: a) allow this doctor in the VA to continue not to help other women in my situation that may want moral alternatives b) contribute more money to a contraceptive industry that does not care about women.

God bless and empathize with you completely,

[quote="Debora123, post:11, topic:221865"]
???

I just figured it was a better option then having to worry about ending a newly conceived pregnancy. And I did state it as a last resort.

[/quote]

The church has made it very clear (in recent days despite the media's confusion) that artificial birth control is prohibited. It is not a last resort.

[quote="Debora123, post:11, topic:221865"]
???

[/quote]

Abstinence during fertile periods would be the last resort.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:14, topic:221865"]
Abstinence during fertile periods would be the last resort.

[/quote]

If she uses hormonal birth control, there will be no fertile periods. An accidental pregnancy can happen at pretty much any time.

And I'm confused. She needs to be on hormonal BC because of her health. That is going to contracept any pregnancy. The issue she has with this is the fact that it may cause an early abortion, hence the title of the thread "is there any hormonal bc that is non abortificant." So forgive me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression she didn't plan on abstaining or saw it as an option, she just wants something that won't cause an abortion. I gave her a simple solution to something that won't cause an abortion if she is required to be on hormonal BC. That is all.

[quote="Debora123, post:15, topic:221865"]
If she uses hormonal birth control, there will be no fertile periods. An accidental pregnancy can happen at pretty much any time.

And I'm confused. She needs to be on hormonal BC because of her health. That is going to contracept any pregnancy. The issue she has with this is the fact that it may cause an early abortion, hence the title of the thread "is there any hormonal bc that is non abortificant." So forgive me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression she didn't plan on abstaining or saw it as an option, she just wants something that won't cause an abortion. I gave her a simple solution to something that won't cause an abortion if she is required to be on hormonal BC. That is all.

[/quote]

I guess non-fertile wouldn't be the right word - during times where ovulation would be occurring and since some low dose pills that are used for medical reasons will not necessarily stop ovulation this does lead to a greater risk of the zygote not being able to implant into the uterus and therefore being aborted. The OP never said she was not interested in abstaining. Also all of this again would depend on which pill she is given or if she opts for any number of other options that she can discuss with her doctor. But no barrier methods are never licit.

[quote="Trigger06, post:8, topic:221865"]
Debora,

[/quote]

Trigger,
I see that is your first post. Please read the forum rules. There is nothing in Deborah's post that violates those rules. While you may certainly disagree withwhat she said in her post, there is nothing in the rules that state that any advice must conform to the catechism.

To the OP:

Here's the answer I think you are looking for. It's on another thread that was answered by an apologist. This is what he said:
When taken as necessary for therapeutic reasons, use of “the pill” is not immoral. Humanae Vitae states, “the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever” (HV 15).

Also, in such circumstances, abstinence is not required. For more on this see the post Pill allowed as an abortifacient?

For alternatives to the pill check out Pope Paul VI Institute. *

and here's the link forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=15756

[quote="Paul1961, post:17, topic:221865"]
Trigger,
I see that is your first post. Please read the forum rules. There is nothing in Deborah's post that violates those rules. While you may certainly disagree withwhat she said in her post, there is nothing in the rules that state that any advice must conform to the catechism.

[/quote]

Trigger didn't say Deborah was violating the rules - Trigger was defining Acts of Charity

Here's another answer given by another apoligist for the same situation:

*This is a very important matter that is widely misunderstood:

The Church considers a miscarriage to be a physical evil. Since abortion DELIBERATELY causes a miscarriage, it is therefore also a MORAL evil. The Church sees an UNintended miscarriage as only a physical evil since it is not deliberately caused by the couple.

The use of the pill for medical reasons may cause an UNintended miscarriage. Women often have unintended miscarriages—sometimes without even knowing it. It is only miscarriages that are INTENDED that the Church considers immoral. The Church never allows the pill to be used as an abortifacient. But it does allow the use of the pill for medical reasons with the possiblity of producing an unintended miscarriage—without obliging the couple to abstain from sexual relations during that time.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P. *

Here's the link to that one forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=4618

I still don't see why it would be a problem to use a barrier method to make sure abortions didn't happen, but that's just my opinion I guess. Rest assured though, you don't bear the burden of sin by taking hormonal bc for health reasons while not abstaining.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.