Is any part of Apostolic Tradition utterly absent from Scripture?

Is there any teaching of Apostilic Tradition which is totally absent from Scripture?

I’m not talking about things implicit in Scripture, such as the Immaculate Conception being implicit in Gabriel’s phrase “full of grace” or Purgatory being implicit in “tested by fire.” I mean is there any part of Apostolic Tradition that our Fundamentalist friends might ask “Where is that in the Bible?” to which the answer is “nowhere?”

The only example that I can think of is the name of Mary’s parents.

The Assumption?

Chuck

The Assumption is alluded to in Revelation 12:1.

The name of the Good Thief (St. Dismas) isn’t mentioned anywhere in Scripture, though.

That’s pretty thin don’t ya think.

Assuming that this verse does in fact speak of Mary (which I buy though most of our protestant friends I assume would not) how does this being Mary point in any way towards a bodily assumption?

Chuck

Because she’s physically standing there in Heaven - in the verse just previous, she is being described as the Ark of the New Covenant, which is a physical object. :slight_smile:

A line from Leathal Weapon comes to mind: “Thin, very thin.” (Of courses right after that the “thin” lead takes them to a house that blows up…but I digress.)

Chuck

Those are great movies, aren’t they? My husband and I enjoy them very much. :o

How about requiring the priesthood to be celibate?

and how about requiring priesthood to be male only?

Since that is discipline, not doctrine, it is not a part of Apostolic Tradition.

Likewise the names of Mary’s parents or the name of the good thief, while they are small 't traditions which have been handed down, are not doctrinal, and are not part of Apostolic Tradition.

Nope, that’s not part of the Apostolic Tradition. Clerical celibacy is merely a tradition with a small “t,” a manmade tradition originating after the close of the Apostolic age. I’m asking about Apostolic Tradition, the divinely inspired preaching of the Apostles which constitutes the word of God equally with sacred Scripture (1 Thes 2:13).

BTW, I see it’s your first post. Welcome to the board!

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.