Is anyone confirmed in Hell?

Maybe Cain? Or some of the people God told the Israelites to kill in the OT?

-Steven

We do not (and cannot) know if any particular person is in hell.

In fact, back in the 50’s and 60’s, there was a lot of discussion among theologians as to whether hell could be empty. If a Catholic said that hell exists but is empty, is he a heretic? The general consensus was that he would not be a heretic - the Church has never taught that anyone is in hell, so we are free to believe that hell is empty (it’s kooky, but not heretical).

However, it’s not looking good for Judas:

The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had never been born. [Matt 26:24]

No. The Church does not affirm the presence of any particular person in hell. However, it does affirm that hell exists, given the Scriptural witness.

The Church confirms that Satan and his demons are in hell. And that is all who they confirm.

They may speculate whether evil creatures, such as Hitler, may be in hell, but cannot confirm.

The Church has confirmed people in heaven, however. Through a process called canonization, or other known as Sainthood. Through the Churches apostolic authority, the Church can canonize one who was performed miracles after death. Which signifies he/she is in heaven.

You left out Josef Stalin and Mao Tsu Tung!

No, there are no sacraments in Hell so obviously there is no one confirmed in Hell.

Badoom CHING! :ouch:

I’ve always wondered about Judas. I mean, didn’t someone HAVE to betray Jesus in order for scriptures to be fulfilled and didn’t Jesus have to die to erase our sins? And, didn’t Jesus himself tell Judas to “Go and do quickly what you have planned to do” (parapharse) at the Last Supper? SO then, it almost seems as though SOMEONE, whether it be Judas or another person, was set up to have to betray Jesus. What take do others have on this?

We also know Judas was very upset over what he had done. Couldn’t we assume that if Christ died for our sins and Judas repented, he was saved?

I see what you did there :rolleyes::D:D:D

Yes, it is POSSIBLE Judas was saved. It’s also possible he was not.

Since we don’t know we should pray for him. That’s all the speculation that’s necessary.

Yes, but this only confirms the fact that said person is in heaven. They were always in heaven even before being canonised. Canonisation only makes officially known to us mortals what already exists in reality in heaven.

Do I have it right? :confused:

No doubt he left out millions of others whom we would consider “deserving” of or “likely to be” in hell. My understanding is that even Judas could be in heaven.

The Immaculate Virgin appeared in Paris (1830), La Salette (1846), Fatima (1917), Beauraing (1933), and Akita (1973) because numerous souls were falling into Hell and she wanted to stop the pattern. In fact, Teresa of Avila, Carmelite doctor of the church, said that she saw souls falling into Hell like snowflakes, during the vision given to her. The same sight was witnessed by Sr. Lucia, one of the Fatima seers.

Yes…you bet we do…but not by specific name…but by their historical time, location and group:

Jude 1
New International Version (NIV)

5 Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. 7 **In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah **and the **surrounding towns **gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

We know with absolute certainty by the Word of God…Hell exists and has occupants…and the “vacancy light” is on and will be on until the end of time!

The real question for me: are we as a culture (USA/Western nations) better than, the same as…or worse than…"…Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns…" – that is the imperative question we need to discern and answer.

Pax Christi

[Edited for misunderstanding the post.]

No Lancer, sorry. The Bible might have that verse but the Church cannot say if it should be interpreted in a way that means the residents of Sodom and Gomorrah are in Hell. Jude says they serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

This could simply mean that sexual immorality and perversion, if acted upon, will lead one to Hell, and Sodom and Gomorrah were examples of people who were sexually immoral. It does NOT say if those people were necessarily in Hell; it just sets themselves up as an example not to be emulated. Theoretically they all COULD have repented at the last moment.

If the Church can say infallibly that a soul is in heaven, why can the Church not do the same with hell?

Good question, and I don’t know the answer.

Maybe they could but they just never have. :shrug: Not sure.

There are a series of signs that a soul is in heaven that allow the Church to declare this. Miracles if you will from people saying devotions to this person. We do not have the same sort of evidence/miracles from people in hell.

How about fallen angels? Lucifer and such? Are they in hell?

Also, how about those demons that the priest confronted during Exorcism? Shouldn’t they be in hell? If they are in hell, how come they can go about and possess people on earth?

:confused:

1 Like

:clapping:

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.