Is anyone else annoyed at how much Protestants stress Jesus?

I hope this doesn’t offend anybody, but something I’ve noticed about Protestants is that they have a slightly warped view of Jesus. I’m not saying that their God is different than the Catholic’s God, but I think that we view them vastly differently. Let me try to clarify that. When I hear Protestants talking about God’s love and mercy and kindness, they never mention God. Instead, they always say it’s Jesus’s kindness or Jesus’s mercy or Jesus’s love. But when they talk about God’s rage and anger and punishment, they never mention Jesus at all! It’s always God that gets angry and pissed off at His people, never Jesus! Now I now that because of the Trinity that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are the same Person. So technically, they are talking about all three. But what maddens me (if you think I’m overreacting, FYI this is a pet peeve of mine for whatever reason) is that they seem to limit God and Jesus to those attributes. I rarely ,if ever, hear a Protestant talk about how in the Gospel of John Jesus knocked over the moneychangers’ table. Sometimes the only time I hear them talk about the love of God is when they quote John 3:16.

NOTE: I always see this in the Evangelical/Pentecostal/Fundamentalist Protestants I hang out with (which is all of them lol). Lutherans/Presbyterians and other traditional Protestants I’ve never seen this with.

Your Thoughts?

Weird. I never really noticed it until now. Maybe it’s because God of the OT is at times wrathful (that seems to be a Baptist thing, i.e. fire and brimstone) and Jesus is mostly seen as kind and tolerant. Could that be it?

Since Jesus is the way, the truth and the light, and He is the one that died for our sins, and He and God are the same, why would one not stress His Name?

What is annoying is one Christian finding fault with another. Thinking that you are better than another, with a holier than thou attitude.

What ever happened to “love thy neighbor as thy self”? Annoyance at another is annoyance at The Father, The Son, and the Holy Ghost!!

And your wordage of God being ****** off is truly insulting, and not proper manners for any forum.

Is not a Christian a follower of Christ(Jesus)?

I haven’t noticed this to the extreme you seem to have, but I get what you mean, kinda. A buddy of mine who was raised Methodist, went “non-denominational”, and is now leaning towards Presbyterian does this a lot. I’ll mention something about God, or say something like “God really knew what he was doing when He did this, eh?” and he’ll generally respond with “I dunno about that, but Jesus sure did!” which I usually just laughed off, but it does confuse me a bit.

Of course, I’ve seen Catholics do this as well. When I was in my Parish youth group, we went to the Franciscan University of Steubenville conference one year and different groups were throwing around the old “We love God, yes we do, we love God, how 'bout you?” chant. It got to one group, and they paused for a moment, all of them laughed, and they said, in unison “No, we love Jesus!” It was very strange.

Anyways, I figure that as long as they don’t deny the Trinity, people can call God by whatever one of His names they like.

Oh, and by the way, “God” and “Jesus” are not the same “person”. God is God, and within God there are three different Persons, one of whom is Jesus. But I get what you mean, I’m just poking fun:thumbsup:

Baptist thing!!!

The Baptists i know seem to believe in OnceSavedAlwaysSAved… i know of this one conversation where the guy said that he was cheating on his wife but it was no big deal because he was saved by grace anyhow… Yikes… talk about weird… Maybe some sects of Baptists still believe in fire & brimstone but the ones i know… forget it…

and as far as them thinking Jesus is kind and tolerant… again, some that i know… seem to think He is kind and tolerant only of them!!! :smiley: :frowning:

this is weird… and i have not had these kinds of experiences… I know Protestants who seem to very uncomfortable with the name of Jesus… 'cause when i mention Jesus, they change the subject…a lot of the time… (just some… but enough to catch my attn… and also, don’t really know t hat many protestants anymore…so…)

it seems i have better luck talking about Jesus with those who don’t claim any church home… those who don’t even call themselves Christian… or at least aren’t very outspoken about such things…

Good afternoon Christalone. I’m glad to meet you! :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, would a person who is annoyed at another Christian for finding fault with another also guilty of being annoyed at the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost?

If you think someone is being condescending and displaying a “holier than thou” attitude, would you consider that as finding a fault in another person?

Kind Regards,
Finrock

i laughed at this… just goes to show how people are different…(NOT better than… just DIFFERENT!! :D) i didn’t take the wording all that seriously… but anyway… you are right when you say that to attack someone is to attack God himself… I wish more poeple would fully realize this truth (St Mt 25:31)… but it seems they don’t much of the time. Even so, i don’t think you should attack poster in this… about how some Christians do this or that… because he /she was not attacking a particular person (poster)… so i don’t see how anyone can take it personally… just speaking in generalaties…

I’m not trying to find fault with you. I was just stating an observation. And, sir/madam, I don’t have a “holier than thou” attitude. Tell me, where in my post do I say that I am any better than you? Do I say it’s wrong to see God and Jesus the way I described? No I do not! Pointing out a specific trait of something and stating your opinion about it is one thing. Lambasting it and condemning it is something entirely different.
What I said in my post is that I don’t like the way certain Protestants view God and Jesus. Did I condemn them for it? Did I say they were wrong to believe that? Did I even insinuate that I was better then them? All I did was state my honest opinion.

And yes, a Christian is a follower of Christ. But my point is that I have had experiences during a Bible study with my Protestant friends where God is never mentioned. All they did was talk about Jesus. It seems as if they want to worship Jesus instead of God (in some instances). I’m not saying they’re wrong for doing so, it just doesn’t make sense to me.

**It might be a good idea to get that bit of heresy straightened before criticising other Christians :slight_smile: They are distinct Divine Persons. BTW - “God” is used **

[LIST]
*]to name the Trinity
*]**to be the Name specifically of the Father **
[/LIST]**FWIW, plenty of Protestants avoid the unBiblical playing off of wrath against mercy that you refer to. It can be difficult to avoid, as can its oppposite. **

So technically, they are talking about all three. But what maddens me (if you think I’m overreacting, FYI this is a pet peeve of mine for whatever reason) is that they seem to limit God and Jesus to those attributes. I rarely ,if ever, hear a Protestant talk about how in the Gospel of John Jesus knocked over the moneychangers’ table. Sometimes the only time I hear them talk about the love of God is when they quote John 3:16.

NOTE: I always see this in the Evangelical/Pentecostal/Fundamentalist Protestants I hang out with (which is all of them lol). Lutherans/Presbyterians and other traditional Protestants I’ve never seen this with.

Your Thoughts?

Sounds to me as if you want an aggressive Jesus, Jesus as Rambo :eek: :). I’ve noticed a fondness for God the Navy S.E.A.L (I would put it more strongly, but this is a family site) a good deal among Catholics: but not among Protestants, curiously enough. It seems to be a US thing. I put it down to male hormones. :slight_smile:

I got a good laugh out of just the title of this thread… i guess becasue… well, it seemed odd that you would complain about christians who focus a lot on Jesus…

isn’t that what thye are supposed to do?

and the weird thing is… I’ve had jus the opposite experience… I have known people who will talk a good line about God… god this and God that… but don’t want to hear the name of Jesus… or at least don’t want to hear it as much as i use it… and this one guy didn’t want to HEAR or SAY his name… this guy seems to have given up on Christianity, which… maybe proves some kind of point…

i think we should all be thrilled when people use the name of Jesus in their conversations…

i WISH i had the problem you speak of…

:hmmm:

after Mass, the people i socialize with never mention Jesus or what the gospel was about or whatever… They talk about their families, their work, etc…

THAT annoys me…

and if i bring up Jesus… i get a stron feeling sometimes that i am looked at as a fanatic…

good point…

I’ve said or felt like saying this kind of thing many times on CAF… seems it is easier to see the clutter in another’s back yard than one’s one… human nature… we are all guilty… :frowning:

As a Catholic, (and I’m a talking Latin Mass, rosary praying, Brown Scapular wearing, read about the Faith, don’t like guitars and hand holding in Church Catholic) I find nothing that we (Catholic or Protestant) can do or say that honors Jesus is enough.

That being said, there are Catholics and Protestants both who misuse and are misguided in the way they use Jesus as a patsy. There used to be, (and to some extent still is) a Protestant claim that Catholics can sin, go to confession and just sin again. While some Catholics, who have not been instructed in the Faith may do this, contrary to what the Church teaches about repentance, and sorrow for our sins, we could point out the speck in the eyes of some Catholics. So too there are Protestants who give up all responsibilities for their own lives and tell you, “Jesus has forgiven all my sins, even those I have not committed yet, because on Date X at Y o’clock, I accepted Him as my Savior.” Bunk in my opinion, and based on what I’ve read in the Scriptures.

Add to that all Protestants are not Trinitarian, some having very strange understandings of who and what Jesus is. I’m not ready to put them all into one pot.

I do feel sorry that because of the abuses and misrepresentations of what the Catholic Church truly teaches, they have been cut off from a full and whole life in the Church Jesus founded, and do not benefit from all the graces that they could access in the Church. But sadly many Catholics do not avail themselves to all the graces God gives through His Church, So rather than be annoyed, I’m sorry for them. I pray to Jesus, and ask our Lady and all the Saints to help them find the way home.

And while I prefer Gregorian Chant, and the Chant of the Armenian and Russian Churches, I do slip in a Gospel hymn sung by Mahalia Jackson from time to time.

Jesus says to take the log out of your own eye before removing the splinter from your brother’s doesn’t He? Haha, someone’s probably going to accuse me of hypocrisy now.

Actually I have seen the complete opposite in some circles of protestants. If you have ever watched TBN or gone to some protestant churches I have more than not heard the speaker or minister say “Father God” over and over again. They seem to offer up their intentions more to Father God than Jesus. Also I don’t recall God referred to as “Father God” in the Bible.

It is probably different in each of these churches. I think AOG churches and non denominational churches do this more than the more orthodox protestant churches.

Yours in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary

Bernadette

I do (though am not a Protestant). Besides knocking over the moneychangers’ table there is:

Revelation 2:23 And I (Christ) will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

not to mention Martin Luther’s ego problems…

Hypocrite! :tsktsk:
JK :wink:
Actually, I’ve never really noticed before now. I have Protestant friends but we usually talk (debate really) about things like Transubstantiation, purgatory, etc. Now that you mention it though, yeah I guess some do that. Notice I say some - they’re just as different individually as Catholics are. :slight_smile:

again this is strange to me… just the opposite of my experiences… maybe we live in completely different parts of the country…

but anyway… like i said, i WISH i had this problem because i am around people who seem to feel uncomfortable hearing the wrod Jesus… even Catholics…

hmmmm :hmmm:

i’m beginning to think I’m living in the wrong part of the world… :eek::coffeeread:

Maybe this is one reason not many non-Catholics believe in hell. They think of Jesus as some kind of Mr. Nice-guy, forgetting that we will all be judged eventually.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.