Is Aromatherapy a sin?

I heard a Priest say in a sermon that use of aromatherapy is a sin. I have an oil diffuser which I use to freshen up the house. It uses cold water with a couple of drops of either lavender, peppermint, lemon, orange etc. organic oils or some oil blends (I have one called whisper) which is a combination of oils. Can you please let me know why this is considered a sin. If it is a sin. So be it. I do not wish to offend God in any way. Thank you.

The US based National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy defines aromatherapy as:

Aromatherapy, also referred to as Essential Oil therapy, can be defined as the art and science of utilizing naturally extracted aromatic essences from plants to balance, harmonize and promote the health of body, mind and spirit. It seeks to unify physiological, psychological and spiritual processes to enhance an individual’s innate healing process.

When it comes to “health of body and mind” that is a realm of medicine and science and therefore if you are using it to that end you need to consult your health/medical professional(s).

When it comes to “health of spirit” and “spiritual processes” this is where it gets a bit problematic. If by “spirit” is meant the general expression “lift your spirits” then its probably fine. If, instead, it refers to some kind of non-Christian spiritual understand of a person’s soul then it is problematic. The idea that our soul can be healed through anything besides God’s grace is completely unChristian.

So whether it is a sin depends on the reason behind its use. If someone is using it to simply relax or in consultation with a health professional then its fine. If someone is using it as a spiritual exercise then that is problematic and can lead us into error.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.