IS asking Christians to deny their faith

Hi all;

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I got a lot of results when I searched ‘deny faith’ which wasn’t relevant.

Patrick Madrid on this very good radio show, mentioned the other day some young Christians who elected to choose martyrdom over denying their Christian faith.

I can’t imagine denying Christ either. But I wondered what the moral aspect of this is?
I would imagine that the statement they would have been made to read would not ‘hold water’ in itself. I mean, could one ‘fein’ this denial and go on practicing as much as possible in private, in order to continue to be alive and evangelise others, with a view to uprising in future?

Just interested in people’s thoughts. This is in no way a judgement on those who elected to lose their lives for Christ. I admire them greatly, pray for them, and respect them enourmously. I hope I would have the courage to do the same.

I have to agree with you, that I hope I would have the courage of these people to proclaim my faith in Christ in the face of torture and death. We are all called to this sort of faith. In Matthew 10:32-33 it says

32"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33"But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

You asked if it would be acceptable to pretend to deny Christ in order to keep evangelizing. What would that prove, except that you don’t really practice what you preach? How do you draw people to God if you don’t stand up for what you believe?

Not everyone has the strength to live up to this heroic virtue and I believe God understands that. But I would feel terribly ashamed if I denied Christ. I can only pray that I would never be put to the test, and that if I were, that I would have the same strength, faith and courage as the martyrs.

And we must pray that those under such duress have the courage and faith to stand up for our Lord and not deny him.

No one cannot “feign” a denial.

Let us pray for our brothers and sisters who are so persecuted and put under such a threat.

Let us say daily with the early Christian Martyrs “I am a Christian!”

Read:

earlychristians.org/index.php/acts/item/315-the-acts-of-martyrdom-of-the-scillitan-saints

earlychristians.org/index.php/acts

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.