Is "assisted' Rosary a valid way to pray?

If I recite the rosary following the one I hear on the radio (local EWTN station) or a smartphone app, or a YouTube video, but don’t always say the words or mouth them or at least say them in my heart, is it still a valid way to pray the Rosary?

I am still learning to pray the Rosary and think that doing it while driving to work is still a better way to spend this time than listening to Howard Stern (or any similar crud).

Thanks in advance.

Why wouldn’t it be?

There is no such thing as valid or invalid ways of performing personal devotions. Even if you said the Rosary while performing Judo chops on Amazonian piranhas it wouldn’t be ‘invalid’ or ‘valid’. We would probably all agree that would be a silly way to do it, but there is no thing as rubrics or protocol on such things. That’s something that only ever applies to the administering of sacraments (which is why there is such a thing as an invalid ordination, marriage, baptism, Mass, etc.). The explanation of valid or invalid exists in those cases as a way of clearly demarcating between the Church and anything outside of it.

With prayer, study, public study, public religious meetings / talks / discussions, retreats, etc., you just follow your own prudential judgement on what to do. The Mass follows rubrics because it isn’t a private or public devotional, but a supernatural event, and it does things in unity and under a higher authority in the same way that the Jews observed the Passover in a very particular way.

That’s fine. In fact, it’s a very good thing to do.

Only DO NOT use the beads while you’re driving. I’m not kidding here. I’ve known many people over the years who do exactly that. Some people will think I’m joking. I am not.

Even if you said the Rosary while performing Judo chops on Amazonian piranhas it wouldn’t be ‘invalid’ or ‘valid’.

:smiley: LoL :smiley:

Praying is always a good thing :thumbsup:
and you are being prudent since staying safe on the road is important

Another good practice to do is also to just meditate on the mystery while in that decade
or offer that rosary for an intention

Later, if you want to expand your prayers: Divine office/ chaplets/ or novenas

[BIBLEDRB]1 Thessalonians 5: 16-24[/BIBLEDRB]

:thumbsup:

Using the beads rather than your fingers to count, is a good way to get in an accident!

The other day, I was at, might have been after mass on Holy Thursday, the priest was reading prayers from what I think they call Kimble. Anyway, it looked like he was holding a book, but he was holding a computer, reading off from that!

I often do my rosary, now, online. It is just easier. They figure out what the day is and which mysteries to do, and I follow along. Sometimes, I say it aloud, sometimes to myself, but either way, as long as you’re doing it in your head and heart, it should count.

its okay to pray the Rosary this way…I did this morning…my Catholic Radio station airs a recording of one of the three Nebraska bishops reciting the Rosary, M-F. I caught it this morning and said it along with the Bishop. I also have recordings made with my TuneIn Radio Pro that I use to say the rosary as well. I also have rosary apps that I use sometimes.

I frequently pray the Rosary with a local Bishop reciting the prayers on Radio Maria while driving to work. They have three different Bishops who are heard during the week, each with a little different style. You are correct that this is a much better way to spend your time than listening to Howard Stern.

DGB

Are you trying to obtain a partial indulgence?

From the Manual of Indulgences (USCCB, 2006):**Norm 22. **An indulgence attached to a prayer can be acquired by reciting the prayer in any language, provided that the translation is approved by the competent ecclestical authority.

**Norm 23. **To gain an indulgence it is sufficient to recite the prayer alternately with a companion or to follow it mentally while recited by another.

**Norm 26. **Both the deaf and the mute can gain indulgences attached to public prayers if, together with the other faithful praying in the same place, they devoutly raise their mind and affections to God; regarding private prayers it is sufficient for them to recite the prayers or express them with signs, or simply to read them without pronouncing the words.

Concession 15 Mental Prayer

A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful who for their personal edification devoutly spend time in mental prayer.

Concession 17 Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

1. A plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful who[INDENT]1/ devoutly recite the Marian rosary in a church or oratory, or in a family, a religiouis community, or an association of the faithful, and in general when several of the faithful gather for some honest purpose;
    2/ devoutly join in the recitation of hte rosary while it is being recited by the Supreme Pontiff and broadcast live by radio or television.
    In other circumstances, the indulgence will be partial.
    [/INDENT]

When I first started praying the Rosary I would either read it on my Kindle or say it along with Mother Angelica. I didn’t know the Mysteries and I figured there’d never be any way I’d be able to memorize the Hail Holy Queen or the “O God, Whose only begotten son.” If neither of those were an option, I’d just say the Creed, Our Fathers, Hail Marys and Glory Be’s then make my best guess about the rest (which was always horribly wrong at first). I figured it was better than not saying it at all.

That’s the way I see it, too.

I try to listen to the Rosary on EWTN radio at night. I might not pay 100% attention to every word as I might be doing housework at the time but as I see it I at least have it on, and I’m not listening to nothing at all or being distracted by something else.

Never listened to Howard Stern, but some of the morning radio shows around here are so foul and vulgar I’m surprised they’re allowed to broadcast.

Even some of the DJ’s later in the day around us are pretty vulgar anymore. If I’m not listening to my mp3 player in the car, I have it on the local EWTN station. They’ll occasionally have content the kids don’t need to hear (which gets me to turn it off or switch back to music if they’re in the car), but at least if they do hear it, they’re getting the Catholic perspective on something instead of the sort of filth they’d hear on the other stations.

I use an MP3 player and do the rosary on my fingers while driving. I still have 5 on each hand :smiley: .

I can’t remember who (St. Augustine, maybe?) who said something along the lines of 'the intent to pray is a prayer in itself." I often play recitations of the rosary at work (I drive garbage trucks) and am able to meditate on the mysteries without taking my attention from the road. However you find ways to pray are good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.