Is atheism a sin?

That is my question. Is atheism a sin and if so why?

Honestly, I don’t see why or how it matters. An Atheist isn’t a Catholic (unless they are a fallen away Catholic). As they aren’t Catholic, how can what they are doing be a sin? :confused:

Surely if you’re a Catholic then you still believe that atheists can sin, even if they don’t recognise the concept themselves? My understanding was that Christianity is a universal faith and its teachings applied to everyone, whether they accept it or not.

If you know there is a God and you refuse to believe in Him, love Him and serve Him, that is a very serious sin.

All people will judged on whether they sought to know God and His truth or not.

I ask that you consult the catechism of the Catholic Church where it discusses the First Commandment

‘Sin’ is an objective reality. All moral agents can commit sin. On the other hand, ‘mortal sin’ is a subjective determination, and one of the criteria for mortal sin is “full knowledge.” A person who does not have full knowledge of the nature of the sin (e.g., an atheist, or other non-Catholics) might not be capable of mortal sin… but they’re certainly capable of sinning.

Some of the most virtuous and decent people I know profess aetheism and some of the most evil spend half their lives on the front row at Mass.

I would suggest that the criteria for judging a belief system is what those who most closely adhere to the belief system’s teachings are like, not looking at those who do not adhere to the teachings.

Okay and what evidence do you have that this is true besides which you say? I mean do you personally know these people? Or do you base it on a rumour? what exactly is it about them that are wicked or evil? And not only thay, how would an atheist be virtuous How could an atheist be virtuous? I’m not saying they can’t be I believe very much that you can be good and an atheist however an atheist is good because of God not because they don’t have God. You are calling people Wicked who are a regular churchgoers but you don’t give us descriptions of why. I feel like that might be based on hearsay. I don’t doubt such people exist but I want to know why you are saying that you said these are people you know

I have spent much of my career working as an auditor of international development agencies and on remote indigenous communities in Australia. I have therefore had the privilege of working with aetheist individuals whose conduct could only be described as saintly. I have also investigated God Botherers who have committed acts of incalculatable evil. Hence my comments.

In my other career, as a soldier in the British Army, I have been shot at by fellow Catholics in Northern Ireland, Muslim lunatics in several countries but Aetheists have never done me any harm.

"Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
Matthew 10:32-33. (Taken from BibleHub).

Also, some of Jesus’s last words before ascending to heaven, “He who believes and is baptised will be saved. He who does not believe will be condemned”. Mark 16:16.
(taken from Scriptural Rosary).

Normally speaking, atheism is a sin then. Of course there may be exceptions where a person doesn’t know about God and so can’t believe. However, normally speaking, it’s a serious sin.

I am sorry for you: that must have been a terrible shock.

In my other career, as a soldier in the British Army, I have been shot at by fellow Catholics in Northern Ireland, Muslim lunatics in several countries but Aetheists have never done me any harm.

I’ll answer the thread question with a question:
Is rejecting God a sin?
And
What does Jesus Christ say about it?
:slight_smile:

Yet there’s that one rather fundamental virtue: faith. As in, faith in Jesus Christ.
:slight_smile:

Of course…

It breaks the 1st Commandment…"I Am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have no strange gods before Me!

This. ^

While I am almost sure you are right, I am confused. Atheists don’t believe in any Gods? :confused:

CCC 2125 Since it rejects or denies the existence of God, atheism is a sin against the virtue of religion. The imputability of this offense can be significantly diminished in virtue of the intentions and the circumstances. “Believers can have more than a little to do with the rise of atheism. To the extent that they are careless about their instruction in the faith, or present its teaching falsely, or even fail in their religious, moral, or social life, they must be said to conceal rather than to reveal the true nature of God and of religion.”

Psalms 14:1 (Psalms 13:1 in traditional Catholic translations)

The fool says in his heart there is no God. Their deeds are loathsome and corrupt; not one does what is good.

People cannot just change their beliefs though, if they truly do not believe in a God, they cannot really change that about themselves.

That would be like a pro-lifer switching sides to be a pro-choice, it comes down to how they feel about it, this can change, but usually takes something drastic to initiate the change.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.