Is Baptism and Confirmation for an Adult Possible in 2 Months?

Hello Everyone,

Long story short: I am a convert of 2 years now AND My mother, who is not a catholic, Is considering being Baptised and Confirmed, joining the church etc, etc, etc.

Question is, She is fairly knowledgeable about the faith as she has been attending mass, etc, etc WITH ME for the last year. She also prays the rosary with me sometimes, but refrains from communion and other sacraments as she is not baptised.

We are currently located in an archdiocese, and We will be here for another 2-3 months before leaving for a new destination. Since my mother is eager to join the church, I was wondering if her baptism and confirmation etc, etc, could take place within the time of these 2 months. Also we’re not in the U.S, so there is no RCIA here, although there might be an equivalent.

I would really appreciate advise concerning this. Thank you.

You really need to talk to your pastor about this.

God bless both you and your mother!

[quote="Marie5890, post:2, topic:302571"]
You really need to talk to your pastor about this.

God bless both you and your mother!

[/quote]

Thank you! I intend to speak to a priest about it in the next week.

Definitely do speak to the priest. There may be ways, given the peculiar situation. I don’t know about Confirmation, since it is competence of the Bishop, but at least, perhaps, Baptism and First Communion.

However, remember that there is not one place on this earth in which you will not find the Catholic Church.

Kind regards and prayers for you and your mom :slight_smile:

[quote="mcw013, post:1, topic:302571"]
Hello Everyone,

Long story short: I am a convert of 2 years now AND My mother, who is not a catholic, Is considering being Baptised and Confirmed, joining the church etc, etc, etc.

Question is, She is fairly knowledgeable about the faith as she has been attending mass, etc, etc WITH ME for the last year. She also prays the rosary with me sometimes, but refrains from communion and other sacraments as she is not baptised.

We are currently located in an archdiocese, and We will be here for another 2-3 months before leaving for a new destination. Since my mother is eager to join the church, I was wondering if her baptism and confirmation etc, etc, could take place within the time of these 2 months. Also we're not in the U.S, so there is no RCIA here, although there might be an equivalent.

I would really appreciate advise concerning this. Thank you.

[/quote]

With a well catechized baptized person, reception into full communion can be done in 2 months. It's not recommended for people who are seeking to be baptized. There is a process of conversion that can not and should not be rushed. It can take several years for some and the Church recommends never less than a full year and only at the Easter Vigil.

That said, speak to the Pastor.

[quote="R_C, post:4, topic:302571"]
Definitely do speak to the priest. There may be ways, given the peculiar situation. I don't know about Confirmation, since it is competence of the Bishop, but at least, perhaps, Baptism and First Communion.

However, remember that there is not one place on this earth in which you will not find the Catholic Church.

Kind regards and prayers for you and your mom :)

[/quote]

An adult being baptized receives all three sacraments of initiation in the same ceremony. They are baptized and confirmed and then receive Communion with the rest of the congregation. Canon Law is clear that the priest who baptizes them has the faculties to confirm them

[quote="mcw013, post:1, topic:302571"]
Since my mother is eager to join the church, I was wondering if her baptism and confirmation etc, etc, could take place within the time of these 2 months. Also we're not in the U.S, so there is no RCIA here, although there might be an equivalent.

[/quote]

This isn't something to be rushed, so please discuss it with your priest. It is possible, but he may recommend that she seek to join the Church once you are established in your new home and parish.

[quote="Phemie, post:6, topic:302571"]
An adult being baptized receives all three sacraments of initiation in the same ceremony. They are baptized and confirmed and then receive Communion with the rest of the congregation.

[/quote]

This hasn't always been true. I was baptized July 2, 1989 by my parish priest and confirmed July 9, 1989 by the bishop when he was in town. I was told the bishop requested that I, and all other true converts, be baptized so all he had to do was confirmation.
:shrug:

Make an appointment and talk to the pastor about this.
I hope that she does.
:):):):signofcross::signofcross::signofcross:

I would just like to say thank you, to everyone who replied for their advise. Unfortunately I have spoken to a priest about my mothers baptism, and he said that she will have to go through the whole process, and will not be able to be baptised in 2 months, even worse the classes have started a month ago, which now means that it is also too late for her to join them.

Most likely she will have to be baptised at our next location, in the next year. Thanks again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.