Is 'Be Fruitful and Multiply' and Fill all the Earth, a Commandment?

Is the original command to Adam and Eve and to us, a commandment? By this I mean,
is God commanding all of us to have as many children as we can to fill the earth up?

Second question, is He still commanding it now, in the New Covenant, and is it written anywhere what number of fullness for Earth God would be happy with?

From my understanding, no. There are only 10 commandments. Be fruitful and multiply I would consider either a law or a precept. If I’m correct the only mortal sins are breaking the 10 commandments.
God is totally reasonable, unlike us. Do you really think he’d want people having kids they can’t take care of or if they have drug problems or are homeless or living with domestic abuse etc? No! That’s where natural family planning comes in.
Birth control is bad because it enables promiscuity, STDs, prostitution, adultery, etc. With natural family planning within marriage at least God is given some say in the matter, and it’s intimate, whereas birth control shows lack of commitment and trust.
Helpful?

Certainly it was a blessing of God to give people the ability to share in the act of creation, but it is not given to all, nor has anyone attempted the feat as a personal religious goal,

Some professional athletes allege to have been intimate with hundreds of partners, but that is not sanctioned by divine law, particularly as it relates to raising the children in the fear and awe of God and providing for their needs, etc.

No, God never gave a specific number that He would be happy with.

Well- was this a commandment: “of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die.”?

There is no question that the Bible is pro-child. The first commandment of the Bible, “Be fruitful and multiply” (Gen 1:28) has not been cancelled. Another translation is “Be fertile and multiply.” Psalms 127 and 128 further exemplify the pro-family attitude encouraged in the Bible. Children thrive best in a family of several children where they learn to give, share, and care. For more study, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1652, 1653, 2367, 2373, 2368. Also St. John Paul II on Oct. 7, 1979 celebrated Mass on the Capitol Mall in Washington, D.C. and for his homily encouraged parents to consider another sibling for their children. (Page 7 of online manual, Natural Family Planning: The Complete Approach, www.NFPandmore.org.) For spacing children, we teach ecological breastfeeding for married couples starting their families. God does provide spacing if the breastfeeding is done right. It truly is God’s plan for natural child spacing. Most folks say “we know that doesn’t work.” The book, The Seven Standards of Ecological Breastfeeding, was written to prove that it does work.
Sheila Kippley

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.