Is "being faithful to Christ" Essential for ones salvation?

Does Faithful needs have an essentail ROle in ones salvation?

Deuteronomy 32:4
The works of God are perfect, and all his ways are judgments: God is faithful and without any iniquity, he is just and right.

Matthew 25:23
His lord said to him: Well done, good and faithful servant: because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

1st. Cor. 4:1-2
[1] Let a man so account of us as of the ministers of Christ, and the dispensers of the mysteries of God.Here now it is required among the dispensers, that a man be found faithful

1 Timothy 3:11
The women in like manner chaste, not slanderers, but sober, faithful in all things.

Romans 2:13
For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified

So dear friends in Christ, WAHTS YOUR TAKE ON THIS?

[quote=PJM] Does Faithful needs have an essentail ROle in ones salvation?

Deuteronomy 32:4
The works of God are perfect, and all his ways are judgments: God is faithful and without any iniquity, he is just and right.

Matthew 25:23
His lord said to him: Well done, good and faithful servant: because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

1st. Cor. 4:1-2
[1] Let a man so account of us as of the ministers of Christ, and the dispensers of the mysteries of God.Here now it is required among the dispensers, that a man be found faithful

1 Timothy 3:11
The women in like manner chaste, not slanderers, but sober, faithful in all things.

Romans 2:13
For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified

So dear friends in Christ, WAHTS YOUR TAKE ON THIS?
[/quote]

define faithful…

IMO…being faithful is summed up in Love, Humility, and Obedience

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Absolutely yes.

However, your best will do, and He will do the rest.

How would “being unfaithful to Christ” be of any value?

=concretecamper;11168304]define faithful…

IMO…being faithful is summed up in Love, Humility, and Obedience

IMO :D]

Bing “faitful” is “KNOWING GOD”…

What I’m hoping to get too makes these terms nearly synomous. OK?

=Glomung;11168388]Absolutely yes.

However, your best will do, and He will do the rest.

How would “being unfaithful to Christ” be of any value?

A very thoughful reply; BUT

What does Being Faithful imply or command:shrug:

I love that - “your best will do”. Tucking that in my back pocket as this is something I try to always remind myself/my kids “we are all doing our best”. And as long as you/we know we’ve done our best we can trust the Lord, right?

This might clear it up for you.

John 3:36 English Standard Version (ESV)

36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

PAX

:thumbsup:

This may sound weird coming out of the mouth of a Calvinist but…

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. (James 2:14-26, ESV)

I would argue, as I think would most of us in the Reformed camp, that while our initial salvation requires nothing more than for us to believe, that unless there comes some evidence of a changed life, then that belief is shallow and is probably not sufficient to save anyone. We may very well be saved by faith alone but not by a faith that is alone.

To put it another way: Works are not a necessary pre-requisite for salvation but works are a necessary consequence of salvation.

Trent

Canon 24.

If anyone says that the justice received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works,[125] but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of its increase, let him be anathema.

From the dictionary:
Anathema: one that is cursed by ecclesiastical authority.

Where’s the love? :confused:

[quote=Alizarin] Quote:

Originally Posted by concretecamper

Trent

Canon 24.

If anyone says that the justice received is not preserved and also not increased before God through good works,[125] but that those works are merely the fruits and signs of justification obtained, but not the cause of its increase, let him be anathema.

From the dictionary:

Where’s the love?
[/quote]

hey, I am just clarifying.

True Charity and Love demands that I clarify what the Church teaches on the previous comment. :slight_smile:

[quote=Alizarin] Quote:

Trent

Canon 24.

From the dictionary:

Where’s the love?
[/quote]

True Charity and Love demands that I clarify what the Church teaches on the previous comment. :slight_smile:

I would assume everyone in Heaven is faithful.

Those who never had a chance to learn about Christ, His actions, His instructions, His Church, probably get a lesson and the choice to reflect love or reject at Judgement. God doesn’t force the way for anyone.

Those that did have a chance to learn about Christ and were lukewarm (indifferent, not interested in learning / understanding and living a life in accordance to the teachings). I think the bible has a note of lesson on this scenario to an unfavorable conclusion.

Considering ‘be prepared’ is a key message. I suppose arguing that preparation would include faithfulness is not much of a stretch.

But when you enter the word ‘essential’, I would qualify a ‘Yes’, by considering life through death to judgement so as to include those who still need to excercise their will to choose God, if not taught in earthly life.

If the question relates to people only alive in the world. ‘No’ because of those who do die before they know of Christ.

I know; and it wasn’t directed at you personally :slight_smile: I was directing it at Trent. I mean, it’s one thing for the council to say, “We disagree and think you’re wrong” (nothing unloving about that), it’s another thing to say that plus “and you’re cursed by ecclesiastical authority”, which is what that word means. Doesn’t seem very brotherly of them.

[quote=Alizarin] Quote:

True Charity and Love demands that I clarify what the Church teaches on the previous comment.

I know; and it wasn’t directed at you personally I was directing it at Trent. I mean, it’s one thing for the council to say, “We disagree and think you’re wrong” (nothing unloving about that), it’s another thing to say that plus “and you’re cursed by ecclesiastical authority”, which is what that word means. Doesn’t seem very brotherly of them.
[/quote]

OK…thanks for the clarification.

With the anathemas, look at it this way. One of the Church’s mission is to make sure people stay on the right path so they can get to heaven (teach all nations). Strong language is sometimes needed so people don’t deviate because of man made doctrine.

“Being faithful to Christ” is being Faithful to His One Church that He established over 2000 years ago. Jesus Christ and His Church are inseparable. Amen

Ufam Tobie

it all depends on what is meant by the word faithful.

if it means never sinning, then being faithful is not necessary for salvation.

if it means saying words that indicate they have surrendered their lives to Jesus but not being remorseful for ones sins, then being faithful is empty.

if it means sinning but returning repentant to Jesus, then it is necessary for salvation.

no one can be saved without repenting his sins.

Yes, because Jesus Christ is the full disclosure of God’s eternal plan.

The Catechism begins with the incarnate Word’s name and titles.

a. Jesus - Yeshua (Hebrew), “God saves”. (CCC 430)
b. Christ - Christos (Greek), from Hebrew Messiah, “anointed” (see CCC 438)
c. Son of God - profession of divine Sonship and dignity as Messianic king (CCC 439, 411)
d. Lord - Kyrios (Greek) used of Hebrew name YHWH in the Old Testament (see CCC 448)

Christ is “the key, the center, and the purpose of the whole of man’s history.” (CCC 450)

Jesus comes to raise the fallen. And we are fallen creatures after the fall. Only through Christ therefore we can claim God’s original plan where we, like the first parents, will be of integrity, dominion and communion with God “(harmony between man and woman” CCC 376).

Amen to all of it :yup: I think the only thing we might differ on is what falls under the categgory of sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.