Is being gay a sin?

I’m very confused on this topic and a friend of mine is gay but is it a sin to be gay? Plus is it a psychological thing or a thing of choice to do so?

From the Catechism:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

No, it is not a sin to be gay. However, it is a sin to engage in homosexual acts. These need not be confined to orogenital acts. For example, two men kissing would be sinful. Obviously that needs putting into context. Two men kissing each other on the cheek by way of greeting as the French do is perfectly fine but two men French kissing is not acceptable. There are other levels of behaviour too. Two people living together as partners even if they do not engage in any acts of sex is sinful. Like anyone else homosexuals can have lustful thoughts. As with heterosexuals the problem lies in whether the person encourages them, lingers over them and is aroused or whether they resist them. So it is not so much being a sinner that is wrong as this sins themselves. We should hate the sin but love the sinner.

Are you sure that according to the Church two people living together as partners without engaging in sexual behavior is sinful? I thought this would be regarded as a near-occasion of sin or scandal but not a sin per se. OTOH, maybe the word “partners” changes the situation.

No it is not a sin. Homosexual orientation is not a choice. Having sex with people of the same-sex is.

A blanket statement cannot be made. That is something for individuals to discuss with their confessor.

Just a clarification :slight_smile:

Having sex Outside of marriage (1 man 1 woman) AND between 2 person of the same sex (man-man or woman-woman) is sinfull

Peace :thumbsup:

Yup. I didn’t mention heterosexual sin, because I thought it went without saying!

** The only people that are able to engage in sex are a man and a woman who are married to each other. For everyone else- straight, homosexual, widowed, single, religious, engaged, whatever, it is a sin to do so.

It is not who we are, but rather the acts we choose to commit that become the sin. So no, it is not a sin to have same sex attraction.**

ewtn.com/library/curia/cdfhomop.htm

A good church document which explores many of these topics.

PASTORAL CARE OF HOMOSEXUAL PERSONS
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church issued on October 1, 1986.

Although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.

No.

Is it a sin to be heterosexual? Of course not.

It is a sin however to have sex outside the sacrament of matrimony, gay or strait. So, if gays are chaste, and unmarried straits are chaste there is no sin.

First of all, giving scandal IS a sin.

If two people of the same sex hold themselves out as partners or a couple or are romantically involved, that’s still inappropriate behavior. It’s objectively sinful but the gravity would depend on many other factors.

As others said, acting on the tendency is a sin, having the tendency is not. Some other Church docs on the matter include:

From Pope Benedict XVI in 2005:*The Catechism distinguishes between homosexual acts and homosexual tendencies.

Regarding acts, it teaches that Sacred Scripture presents them as grave sins. The Tradition has constantly considered them as intrinsically immoral and contrary to the natural law. Consequently, under no circumstance can they be approved.

Deep-seated homosexual tendencies, which are found in a number of men and women, are also objectively disordered and, for those same people, often constitute a trial. Such persons must be accepted with respect and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. They are called to fulfil God’s will in their lives and to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter[8]. *And as Cardinal Ratzinger in 1986:Christians who are homosexual are called, as all of us are, to a chaste life. … The characteristic concern and good will exhibited by many clergy and religious in their pastoral care for homosexual persons is admirable, and, we hope, will not diminish. Such devoted ministers should have the confidence that they are faithfully following the will of the Lord by encouraging the homosexual person to lead a chaste life and by affirming that person’s God-given dignity and worth.

Ok I’m simply confused as well because the news is reporting that Pope Francis said the inclination is not the problem, so if the inclination is an objective disorder, how can a disorder not be a problem? Or maybe it wasn’t reported on correctly and or maybe he was tired which the article did say.

Plus to present the idea that, if the inclination to be hetro is not a sin, followed by- then how could the inclination to be gay be a sin…

suggests that there is no difference between the natural inclination and the disordered inclination.( above quote)

also Ive had two people who I found out after some time that they were bi…and I was offended due to the secret conspiracy which an inclination could not help but promote…so its hard to see as the inclined disordered inclination is in the community, how it would be realistic to suggest it is not a problem?

plus it is also an example to the youngsters as an adult in life… the only way the inclination can find resolve is if it meets the unifying agenda, it seems asking that an individual not be a sexual thing to begin with and then, how would the inclination be known in the first place?

so Saint Catherine a Dr of the church expressly reports the act as a cursed act that offends god…if it is so and a cursed act, then the inclination is not only disordered but something away from god, in deep demarcation >from hetro.

so in principal I find this very upsetting and agree with everything else in not shunning and as well love and pray for the sinner…plus how can priests now echo …the inclination to be gay is not a problem to the congregation. I feel this seems to be a need to be more clear, esp if its getting news.

The inclination is a “problem” as in it’s a cross that the individual must bear. But the inclination itself is not a “sin.” Pope Francis is correct. The objectively disordered act is acting on the inclination, as stated in CCC#2357 in the 2nd post in this thread.

Thanks so much and its too bad thats not how the article is reading. I agree as its above explained now…a person cannot sin without deliberately putting an inclination into motion…i think thats how its meant.

Our contemporary society suffers from the problem of understanding that sin doesn’t reside in the created order, but that creation, especially human nature, suffers from the disorder that leads us to prefer to follow the downward path away from God.

Desire for a member of one's own sex is a disorder within human nature; until my lifetime, the majority of homosexuals would have agreed that it was a disorder, not a matter to boast of, and certainly that homosexual activity shouldn't receive the protection of the law. It was abuse of the law, in which those trusted with enforcement of the law, were generally allowed to indulgence in violence & cruelty, or that they were enforced by exorbitant criminal penalties, that led to the present situation of enthusiastic support for public proclamation & elevation of disordered sexuality as if it embodied a public good. Instead, the hardening of consciences continues to overflow into all social life. The gay rights' movement is deeply linked to violence & abuse of children, to the death culture, the simultaneous false valuation of macho expressions with the corresponding devaluation of marriage, fatherhood and motherhood.

so can desire be separated from the word inclination? I have a silence is Golden on this but was bothered today.

I’m going to try and work this out…hold on.

No. Being gay is NOT a sin.

The majority the time, it is an orientation one is born with.

Okay this is going to take me some time to think through and Ive been working on mentally in travel the past few hours and its a tough one. If infractions are replaced for analogies, it won’t work. I understand whats being said"exactly in the teaching but how is it supposed to be a workable understanding to report to the people. Maybe there is nothing else to be said, and Ive always believed silence is golden on this anyway, nature, well being, health and family says so much on its own, so I don’t believe man needs to say anything more at all. It really isn’t his ongoing argument.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.