Is being impatient a sin?

Is being impatient a sin/mortal sin?

Example: being impatient and bumping threads on a forum so that more people will answer.

Impatience is a feeling, and not of itself sinful.

Your use of that feeling, or your actions based on it might be sinful, depending on whether anyone was harmed.

depends i mean bumping a thread doesn’t sound grave

running red lights in your car cause you want to get home so you can watch your tv show sooner is a different story :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree. Impatience is an emotion over which one has little control. It can certainly lead to reckless and sinful actions, but it isn’t a sin in and of itself.

Actually I always thought it was a sin because it shows lack of self control which is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:22 By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things.

CCC 1832 The fruits of the Spirit are perfections that the Holy Spirit forms in us as the first fruits of eternal glory. The tradition of the Church lists twelve of them: "charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, chastity."112

So if we aren’t practicing self control I believe it’s a sin. And a common one… :slight_smile: But correct me if someone knows better than I… :slight_smile:

It can be :slight_smile:

s. James, 5:9: “Brothers, do not complain about one another”

s. Paul, 1 Cor 10:10: “And do not grumble”

According to Catholic Encyclopedia, the gift of Fortitude (by which one meets and sustains dangers and difficulties) brings to the virtue of Patience (which disposes us to bear present evils with equanimity, so as to endure present evils in such a way as not to be inordinately cast down by them).

Now…bumping a thread on a forum is as venial as it gets! :o Yet is good to be attentive and careful, because even such venial things, if left without care, can in the long run dispose us to more serious trouble, and vice versa, conquering them bears good fruits, for “Whoever can be trusted with very little - says the Lord - can also be trusted with much” :slight_smile:

And s. Francis of Sales once wisely wrote: "Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself." :smiley:

What does it mean to “bump” a thread?

It’s a vice that needs correction. Probably not a mortal sin.

I know patience is a virtue. And wrath is the opposite of virtue.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_virtues

To reply to an older thread causing it to move to the top of the threads list.

Well, I’m glad that mere impatience isn’t a big time sin. Cause I really lack patience. :smiley: If my computer is slow, I fume. If my cat gets into stuff (which is an every day occurance with this dude), I fume. As the old saying goes, “God ain’t done with me yet.”:wink:

CHAPTER 13 – On Resisting Temptations [The Imitation of Christ]

So long as we live in this world, we cannot remain without trial and temptation: as Job says, “Man’s life on earth is a warfare.” We must therefore be on guard against temptations, and watchful in prayer, that the Devil find no means of deceiving us; for he never rests, but prowls around seeking whom he may devour. No one is so perfect and holy that he is never tempted, and we can never be secure from temptation.

Although temptations are so troublesome and grievous, yet they are often profitable to us, for by them we are humbled, cleansed, and instructed. All the Saints endured many trials and temptations, and profited by them; but those who could not resist temptations became reprobate, and fell away. There is no Order so holy, nor place so secluded, where there are no troubles and temptations.

No man can be entirely free from temptation so long as he lives; for the source of temptation lies within our own nature, since we are born with an inclination towards evil. When one temptation or trial draws to a close, another takes its place; and we shall always have something to fight, for man has lost the blessing of original happiness. Many try to escape temptations, only to encounter them more fiercely, for no one can win victory by flight alone; it is only by patience and true humility that we can grow stronger than all our foes.

The man who only avoids the outward occasions of evil, but fails to uproot it in himself, will gain little advantage. Indeed, temptations will return upon him the sooner, and he will find himself in a worse state than before. Little by little and by patient endurance you will overcome them by God’s help, better than by your own violence and importunity. Seek regular advice in temptation, and never deal harshly with those who are tempted, but give them such encouragement as you would value yourself.

The beginning of all evil temptation is an unstable mind and lack of trust in God. Just as a ship without a helm is driven to and fro by the waves, so a careless man, who abandons his proper course, is tempted in countless ways. Fire tempers steel, and temptation the just man. We often do not know what we can bear, but temptation reveals our true nature. We need especially to be on our guard at the very onset of temptation, for then the Enemy may be more easily overcome, if he is not allowed to enter the gates of the mind: he must be repulsed at the threshold, as soon as he knocks. Thus the poet Ovid writes, “Resist at the beginning; the remedy may come too late.” For first there comes into the mind an evil thought: next, a vivid picture: then delight, and urge to evil, and finally consent. In this way the Enemy gradually gains complete mastery, when he is not resisted at first. And the longer a slothful man delays resistance, the weaker he becomes, and the stronger his enemy grows against him.

Some people undergo their heaviest temptations at the beginning of their conversion; some towards the end of their course; others are greatly troubled all their lives; while there are some whose temptations are but light. This is in accordance with the wisdom and justice of God’s ordinance, who weighs the condition and merits of every man, and disposes all things for the salvation of those whom He chooses.

We must not despair, therefore, when we are tempted, but earnestly pray God to grant us his help in every need. For, as Saint Paul says, “With the temptation, God will provide a way to overcome it, that we may be able to bear bear it.” So, let us humble ourselves under the hand of God, in every trial and trouble, for He will save and raise up the humble in Spirit. In all these trials, our progress is tested; in them great merit may be secured, and our virtue become evident. It is no great matter if we are devout and fervent when we have no troubles; but if we show patience in adversity, we can make great progress in virtue. Some are spared severe temptations, but are overcome in the lesser ones of every day, in order that they may be humble, and learn not to trust in themselves, but to recognize their frailty.

Keeping it near the top of the list so that people will see it more often.

You don’t want to be around me when i’m standing 3 or 4 deep in a check out lane with 2 dozen check out lanes and only two are opened…just saying.

I do not think impatience is a sin. Especially since the line between eagerness and impatience is not clear. It is an emotion we experience. We can experience emotions, and carefully consider them, and decide how to handle the emotions. We can choose to reject an emotion, and just give it up to God (like impatience in traffic, just slowing down and relaxing yourself, turning on the radio, accepting that you will be later than expected). We can choose to accept that we feel that way, but that waiting is obligatory (like waiting in a doctor’s office, acknowledging that everyone else is waiting also, and you will get your turn eventually). We can choose to act on it (like calling someone back about an important matter when we have been waiting too long for a response from them). Those are all virtuous ways of dealing with impatience.
But there are also ways of reacting with impatience that are not virtuous - getting angry, deciding to retaliate at someone, behaving badly.

But again, I think that eagerness is quite close to impatience sometimes, and the more scrupulous a person is, the easier it is to be confused about whether you are merely eager, or if you are indulging impatience to the point of sinfulness.

Edited to Add: I often find that if I use a word like “eager” to describe my emotional state about things, it diffuses the negative energy associated with my emotional state that would be present if I say that I am “impatient”. I think this is a helpful tactic for dealing with sometimes overwhelming emotions. Most unhelpful emotional states can be transformed by renaming them with a more neutral label, allowing the person experiencing them to maintain self-control and move on with grace. Just a tactic I have found to be helpful in my own life, not really the point of this thread, but I just thought I might offer it as a helpful aside…

But, as you point out, self-control is a practice–impatience is a feeling, which one can choose to allow to control us, or that we can choose to control and act patiently.

We practice self-control when we do things like fasting for lent. That’s where I got the idea of practicing. And I think that when we practice controlling ourselves on the little things it might help us to practice self-control about the bigger things like addictions.

It is really hard to overcome ones feelings or human responses. Like defending ourselves when we should be more resistant and say things like 'I appreciate what you are saying and I’ll keep that in mind, Or I appreciate your concern and just excusing ourselves to go into the other room to breathe or something like that. . Instead we might jump to our defense and then regret what we’ve said because it hurt a relationship or something like that.

What really caught my eye on this forum back in Early March is that being impatient is one of the things I struggle with and I wanted to work on over Lent. I think I have been successful in getting better though God isn’t finished with me yet. I know that the fruit of the spirit is patience and self control and I do want to learn to practice it because often when we speak we say things we later regret or could have said in a better way. I think about what Pope Benedict was trying to teach us about listening and I’m trying to practice it in my life. When we are always talking or having chatter in our ears from our ipods and things, we are not listening to the things we need to hear and we’re not hearing God in our prayer. God most certainly hears us but we need to hear God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.