Is being interested in ancient history a sin?

Like in title. I’m quite interested in archaeology, particularly ways of life and art of ancient people. I don’t think it poses any threat to my faith at all, but then there is 1 Corinthians 10:31. I may appreciate how, thanks to creation in the image of God, we are able to create such beautiful things, but still, the cultures I am particularly interested in were pagan. So, is this a sin?

I really don’t understand why you think this would be a sin.

Have you talked to your priest about these thoughts?

No, knowledge is not a sin. Yes, Ancient Greece, Egypt, etc. worshiped pagan gods, but knowing if this and actually worshiping those gods are two different things.

Not in the least. I am also interested in ancient cultures, most of which were Pagan. So long as you don’t start believing in their gods, you’re good ^^

The Vatican Museum is full of such things…

If it becomes a near occasion for one -then that would be different - but normally such is simply archeology etc.

There’s a very interesting magazine called ‘‘Biblical Archaeology Today’’, which you might want to check out. Not only is ancient history interesting within itself, it can add to biblical timeline knowledge and help out in particular areas of biblical apologetics. Understanding ancient history is very important - not a sin at all - if you have a gift and are knowledgeable in this area, or seeking to be knowledgeable, you are blessed indeed.

Seriously, are these really the things that bother Catholics these days? In just a few days, I’ve come across threads with such summarized questions as:

Is archaeology a sin?
Are ear piercings sinful?
Is thinking have free will to sin sinful?

Only goes to show that we having lost the sense of sin goes both ways. On the one hand, no one recognizes sin for what it is anymore, but on the other, we have those who see sin where there is none.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel these kinds of questions have blown to ridiculous proportions in recent years on CAF.

The concern is with having too much fascination in ancient history. It is a good question. For instance, when regarding Greek mythology and respect to the pagan gods, remember they have been spoken ill of before and used to desecrate the holy temple (1 Maccabees 1:54).

All of the early Christian and medieval Philosophers based most of their writings on Greek Philosophy, , Augustine, Thomas Aquinas etc.

So probably not.

Oh, I hope not…if it is, I know a lot of priest who are also academics that are mired in sin.

Somehow, I’ve never thought of accusing someone, like say, Fr. Mitch Pacwa, of sinning because of his accumulated knowledge on various cultures, societies, and religions of the past and present.

I’m glad to hear that it’s not a sin! Thanks to everybody, who answered :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.