Is being watchful for the Lord's return distracting?

Hi everyone,
Do you consider being watchful for the coming of Jesus as a distraction from the Christian life or essential to it?
To me the invocation "Maranatha Come Lord Jesus" is a very important prayer imploring the coming of the Kingdom and the defeat of all evil.
cnsblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/doomsday-or-distraction/

Not watching would be the greater distraction, since watching is part and parcel of the Christian life.

[quote="sparkfrompoland, post:1, topic:330485"]
Hi everyone,
Do you consider being watchful for the coming of Jesus as a distraction from the Christian life or essential to it?
To me the invocation "Maranatha Come Lord Jesus" is a very important prayer imploring the coming of the Kingdom and the defeat of all evil.
cnsblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/doomsday-or-distraction/

[/quote]

Jesus did not require that we keep watch continually. The Jews were only required to keep watch on one day and that day was during the night after Passover. Exodus 12:42 "It was a night of watching by the LORD, to bring them out of the land of Egypt; so this same night is a night of watching kept to the LORD by all the people of Israel throughout their generations". Jesus is not saying that we must keep watch all day and night every day of the year, that is physically impossible and would be distracting. But depending on calendar and which month on Passover our Lord returns it could be many different days, I did a study of the days Jesus kept watch during His ministry and all lined up with a Passover by different calendar. See scripturescholar.com/ChronologyJesus.pdf
Grace and peace,
Bruce

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.