Is biblical or any other kind of numerology a sin? or occult practice?

Hi,

Is biblical or any other kind of numerology a sin? or occult practice? I have heard numbers like seven being used as a good number in the bible, but not sure overall what the church teaches on numerology. Can someone share with me or send me a good link.

Thank you!
Brian

Numerology is fine if it is used as a tool showing how the bible, history, and creation tie together. Much like typology there are repeating patterns throughout the old and new testament. For instance the number seven appears to signify 'completion' or 'perfection'- seven days of creation, forgive seven times seventy, seven years of plenty followed by seven years of drought, etc. Numbers like 40 and 666 are noteworthy in the Bible as well. The problem with numerology is when it is used in a superstitious manner to divine the future or determine compatibilty between people and other people and objects. For instance, "I can't date her shes a 4 and I'm a 3!" (astrological signs have the same problem). This is sinful as it undermines faith by placing our trust in apparent meaningless patterns rather than trusting and listening to God in our life. I have seen cases where people get obsessed with numerolgy and other occult systems. It neither healthy in a psychological or spiritual sense.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

[quote="Lion777, post:2, topic:314236"]
Numerology is fine if it is used as a tool showing how the bible, history, and creation tie together. Much like typology there are repeating patterns throughout the old and new testament. For instance the number seven appears to signify 'completion' or 'perfection'- seven days of creation, forgive seven times seventy, seven years of plenty followed by seven years of drought, etc. Numbers like 40 and 666 are noteworthy in the Bible as well. The problem with numerology is when it is used in a superstitious manner to divine the future or determine compatibilty between people and other people and objects. For instance, "I can't date her shes a 4 and I'm a 3!" (astrological signs have the same problem). This is sinful as it undermines faith by placing our trust in apparent meaningless patterns rather than trusting and listening to God in our life. I have seen cases where people get obsessed with numerolgy and other occult systems. It neither healthy in a psychological or spiritual sense.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

[/quote]

Also, the occult practice of numerology opens up the door to the demonic realm. That seems to be when numerology becomes sin. Thank you for helping me to think through this question.

What Does The Number 777 Mean To Christians?!?!

For this Christian, it means this:

Is biblical or any other kind of numerology a sin?

answer - yes

All occult (and New age or should I say old age) including numerology is a sin.

Our heavenly Father wants us to place our trust in Him! Stay well clear of numerology!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.