Is birth control okay for severe health issues?

I am 26 years old, and last year was diagnosed with a very rare (only 1500 women in the world) and terminal lung disease. I was pregnant with my second child when I found out, and ended up having to deliver my son 3 months early. This disease causes extreme breathing issues and holes in your lungs. The only cure is a lung transplant to add years to my life. My doctor has instructed me that I will die if I become pregnant again. And there is no way that I would be able to sustain a pregnancy again.
I tried NFP, but I also have Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome, and have VERY irregular periods. Sometimes once a year, and sometimes 3 times a month. So, doing NFP is extremely risky, and I could never tell when I was ovulating or not.
Anyhow, I am in a situation where I need to get on an artificial method of birth control to make sure that I don’t get pregnant for the severe health issues to myself and the baby. And second of all, I am hoping to be a part of a clinical trial (lab rat for a drug that may help with the cyst growth in lungs). One requirement is that birth control is used b/c this is a toxic drug.
Is there any exception in my case?
Thanks SO much for any help you can offer.

MelaniePutnam,

We are so sorry to hear about your health problems. Please be assured of our prayers for your healing and strength. The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on using birth control medication for medical reasons. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]Is it OK to take birth control pills for medical reasons?
*]Is it o.k. to take birth control pills for health reasons?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.