Is breeding animals wrong?

I noticed in another thread that a Catholic said they agreed with breeding. Isn’t breeding interfering with God’s creations? When people breed animals they are making them what **they **think they should be. Almost like saying God didn’t do it right, so we’ll do it for him and make the animals the way they “should” be, the way we want them to look or act. Why should a dog or any other animal look different than how God made them. Alot are bred for looks, isn’t this being vain? Isn’t this interfering with God’s creations?

Read Psalm 8.

Basically we are stewards over God’s creation. We are to make use of it as best we can and not to harm it if possible. Breeding does no harm, and while selective breeding may have changed what God has originally created, I think God still has a hand in what man does and would not allow something to happen if he didn’t want it to.

Husbandry does not “interfere” with God’s creation. In Genesis, God gives man dominion over the earth and its creatures. We are to till and culitvate, to manage the animals.

Breeding animals or hybridizing plants to achieve specific characteristics are no different than irrigating arid land.

Can you demonstrate that the Church teaches we are not to “interfere” with creation?

Breeding animals is not wrong. God gave us stewardship over animals and so it is not wrong if we breed our animals or sterilize them.

I would have to disagree with that as many of the animals bred for looks have health problems. Floppy ears and curly hair, pug noses and such do not benefit animals health in any way. And it has no benefit to the humans. It is really just a vanity issue.

Let’s take that logic to its conclusion and see where it goes…

Is it wrong to mix cement?
After all, we are taking the raw materials and making them what we want them to be.
Did God err?

Or even more basic…is it wrong to dig a hole?
After all, the hole wasn’t there before. We are changing the way God created it to suit our purposes.

I don’t think cement or dirt can compare to an animal. They are totally different things. One lives, breathes and feels and can aquire health problems. Dirt and cement are just that, dirt and cement.

Are you saying we shouldn’t use the brain God gave us? Are you trying to be holier than the church? You know the church condemned Jansenism don’t you? We do get to have a little fun and a little vanity in life, it’s more than just surviving to the next day.

But the dirt is God’s creation.
The logic behind the question in the OP does not differentiate between the creations of God, it only questions the sinfulness of changing God’s creation to suit our purposes.

Dominion does not mean dominance, it is more a concept of stewardship. We were appointed to take care of God’s Earth and all the creatures in it. We should use our brains to help us to that end, not play mad scientist and try to outdo God’s original designs to suit our vanity needs. Does it please God that we manipulate His work to create designer dogs to fit into our purses, that do not shed on our expensive furniture, that have cute pushed-in pug faces (subsequently making it harder for this breed to breathe)? In the United States we should stop all breeding of pets completely–until the pet over-population problem is under control. We are not good stewards if we breed designer animals for our companionship and pleasure, and at the same time kill thousands of other animals daily throughout the country who are unwanted mutts. With stewardship comes responsibility. Let’s use our brains in meeting our responsibilities, instead of just doing what we want because we want it.

Number of cats and dogs euthanized by shelters each year:
3-4 million (HSUS estimate)

Breeding animals ok…breeding with animals bad… If we didn’t breed animals the way we want we would still have wolves as pets. And we have enough problems with lazy people wanting to own pit bulls. Just imangine a world where those morons could own wolves as pets? Of course i’m not talking about pit bull owners who take the time to raise their dog right. And no i don’t own pit bulls.

:thumbsup:

:tsktsk:Another nasty post by a Catholic. Did you forget about the part that says Love Thy Neighbor? I asked a simple question. You really don’t need to get nasty! And once again you make the bible out to be only what benefits you! Follow it or don’t!

I don’t take it literally, I’m Catholic not Baptist. BIBLE stands for basic information before leaving earth, not ALL information before leaving earth. Originally there was not supposed to be a Bible. That was not being nasty, those were sharp points I wanted answered catagorically, not by some blanket, blow it off statement. Since you are telling me how to deal with the Bible, I’ll remind you that you don’t take the words of the bible literally most of the time and you should be reading the full meaning rather than just surface value. Humans are supposed to be intellectual creatures, thats start acting like it.:shrug:

Like I said, you make it what you want it to be.

Humans are supposed to be intellectual creatures, thats start acting like it.:shrug:

That’s what we’re asking you to do.

So everyone who disagrees with you is making the Bible what they want it to be. I remind you this the Catholic church not Baptist. Taking the Bible literally is not intellectual. An intellectual person would look byond face value of the words for all meanings. Literally is taking for facevalue and nothing byond. If you don’t think I’m intelectual, I sugest you do a thread and post search on me, if anything I might over think things once in a while.

I cannot follow you reasoning here. Why is an animal different? Plants can “feel” in some sense? Should they be replanted?

Dirt can be contaminated. Does that mean we should not ever mix dirt with some other thing?

I dont see any probs with breeding animals.

I DO however think it is morally wrong to keep them in inhumane conditions just to feed our gluttony

Blessings and peace.

So everyone who disagrees with you is making the Bible what they want it to be.

It has nothing to do with disagreeing with me. It has to do with what the bible says. I didn’t write it. It says what it says. I personally don’t follow everything it says. I don’t claim to. What I’m saying is the argument that eating meat is right because it is in the bible doesn’t make it a strong argument. If you are going to say that it’s right to eat meat because they did it in the bible than you’ll need to say everything else in the bible should be done also, if that is the only support you have for it, because you feel that that one supporting factor is so strong an argument. When you use the argument in that form than you are saying that everything in the bible should be supported. It says it in the bible so therefore it is. I understand that it is very hard for some people to comprehend this. It’s just way over their head in other words. They just can’t grasp the meaning of it.

An intellectual person would look byond face value of the words for all meanings.

Exactly what we are saying. Dominion does not mean do whatever we feel like as long as it pleases us . And just because Jesus did it in his day doesn’t mean we need to do it in our day. Things were different then.

If you don’t think I’m intelectual, I sugest you do a thread and post search on me, if anything I might over think things once in a while.

That sentence in itself tells me all I really need to know.:thumbsup:

Why is an animal different?

If an animal is no different than a plant or the dirt than why is it different than a human? As you said {QUOTE]Plants can “feel” in some sense? Should they be replanted?

Some plants can be replanted but others only live for a season. I can eat the tomato that falls from the plant without eating the plant, and I can eat the apple that falls from the tree without eating the tree. Yes, the tomato and apple that have fallen still have “energy” in them but it will wither and die probably within days. It does not look at me with emotion in it’s eyes. It does not nuture it’s babies. Scientists are not experimenting on plants to find cures because plants are not similar to us in make up. I can only say that maybe you have an argument that we were only intended to eat the fallen fruits and nuts. That’s an excellent thought! And a great argument!

Dirt can be contaminated. Does that mean we should not ever mix dirt with some other thing?

I’m not sure what you’re asking about here?:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.