Is Calvinism defensible

I’ve read multiple articles and papers on the five points of Calvinism but they all seem too simple and undefensible. They quickly turn into scripture mining arguments. A calvinist finds 5 verses. So the Armenian or Catholic finds 6 verses to refute them. So the calvinst then argues with 7, 8, 9 verse ad nauseam.

My question then is if there exist serious books that can not only argue Calvinism scripturally but philosophy/logically as well.

I don’t think Calvism at its core can be defended. As a Catholic I am still trying to understand synergism and molinism vs. Thomistic views but want to know if any serious calvinist (no James White suggestions need apply) has written scholarly and logical books about the tenets of Calvinism.

Not a scholarly work, but you may like it:

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/TULIP.HTM

Yes, Calvinism has many serious and scholarly defenders. But you can find sholars defending many different and contrary positions.

If you want to get an introduction to differences between Molinist and Thomist positions (and others), then read the Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange’s book, Predestination, which I think is published in English by TAN Books. The author puts himself in the Thomist camp, but he is very upfront about his bias. He does not spend much ink on Protestantist views though.

Oh, and there is also a difference between “Armenian” (from the country Armenia) and “Arminian” (after the Reformed theologian Jacob Arminius). :slight_smile:

Oh, and there is also a difference between “Armenian” (from the country Armenia) and “Arminian” (after the Reformed theologian Jacob Arminius). :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.