Is catfishing like this a sin

So, me and my friends decided to make a fake account using some random korean celebrity to prank some people. We are not trying to meet anyone but just to joke with my sisters friends. We plan on telling them this was a prank soon, but how far is too far. Like so far, I encouraged one of her friends to start sing publicly, which is a win for both of us, and we told another friend that we would help her get with someone. Like if it was just me, without the account, they wouldnt of gotten encouraged to do that. But how far do you guys think is to far that it becomes a mortal sin?

1 Like

It is deceptive. You are lying.

2 Likes

A question on morality like that needs to be directed to your confessor.

1 Like

@DisorientingSneeze ah okay… i didnt think about that before lol. But how do you think i can tell these people thats its just their friends older sister? I feel scared too. Should i just leave the account and never use it again. Also i feel horribly guilty, as now this girl is starting to grow fond of our character. I dont want to lead her on and i dont know how to tell her

ive came clean, my friend helped me tell them and now im kinda terrified lol

I don’t have a good answer for you. Consider discussing it with a priest and in the meantime do not continue engaging through that account until you have. Whatever you do consider how you would feel if it were you finding all this out.

1 Like

@DisorientingSneeze I deleted the account, and came clean. I would feel truely horrible if I was in this situation. Im glad that I came clean though.

Sounds like what’s done is done.

2 Likes

What is your definition of “get with someone”? This could be mortal sin the way it sounds

Either way, it’s good that you stopped, not good to play with people’s emotions even if there is a perceived benefit in the end. Ends don’t justify the means as they say

3 Likes

@GospelOfMatthew she asked the account if we could ask a guy about his interests as she likes him, and Im still able to do that, as me and the fake account are basically the same person but different looks. But I stopped as soon as i realized it was wrong. When first doing this i didnt have a bad intent, as i was just looking for something to do to cheer me up, and when i realized what i cluld be doing was wrong i immediatly went here

1 Like

I think you sound young but are you Catholic? It shocks me that you don’t know this is immoral. I hope the law catches up with these online predatory behaviours very soon. What sort of world have we become!

@Emeraldlady Yes i am catholic and 13… I wasnt thinking when i did this, as i was desperate to find anything to cheer me up as something devastating came upon my family recently. I do wish those online behaviors do stop… i just wanted to mess with my sisters friends… i didnt think that what i was doing something immoral at first… i feel horrible now, as you didnt believe i was Catholic at first.

Thou shalt not lie - God

Even though you didn’t have any mean intentions it is not good to pretend like this. It is also a risky way to lose friends because they can feel betrayed and hurt. You’re young, so I can see how you might think it’s just harmless fun especially since you planned to come clean thinking it’s a silly joke. But it seems you also have a good enough conscious to realize your mistake. Good job! Learn from this and don’t do it again.

I am sorry to hear this, I hope things get better for your family and you and your family will be in my prayers :slightly_smiling_face:

Nobody is perfect, and one of the mitigating factors of sin is age since younger people might have less understanding of the severity of a sin. There is always great mercies in confession but if you went to mass yesterday you were already forgiven as this isn’t a mortal sin :slightly_smiling_face:

That is a totally wrong attitude to have my friend… That’s a sort of distorted legalism - in other words, it’s not Catholic. Your conscience is already telling you what you’re doing is un-Christian and therefore wrong.

“How far can I take this before it’s a mortal sin?” Chances are if you’re having those thoughts while doing something, you’re already in grave and possibly mortal sin of pride and presumption.

Good for you… Your conscience (the voice of the Holy Ghost) was already speaking to you telling you this was wrong.

Now get to Confession and confess being uncharitable, prideful and deceptive in your interactions with another person.

In the meantime pray Psalm 51 (have mercy on me…) and make an act of contrition.

@Streampromise

You could be in legal trouble

Hurting someone is not fun,the other person could be sensitive and could have she her own personal as well as her family problems

Now day there is no longer for fun ,don’t be surprised, if cops land up on your door step,and put you in juvenile detention centers or charge you for cyber crimes .

Your involving other is this, its serious trouble ,a wrong relationships could put you friend in jeopardize.

Doing it will full knowledge is grievous sin,which is amounting in a mortal sin, what if your friend is sensitive and commits suicide ? will you take responsibility?

1 Corinthians 15:33 33 Do not be deceived:“Bad company ruins good morals.”

1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.1 Corinthians 10:23 “All things are lawful,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.