Is catholicism a holywood

I’m just curious as I get asked a lot and sometimes get ridiculed by it. Has any of those films like the ‘God Father’ and God knows how many there are out there been filmed in a catholic church. My friends who are of course Prots always make it a point to make fun and mock the church because of its appearance in most films and very so often in ones depicting obscenity. And could someone give me some hints how to counter this kind of mockery.

Show them the movie “Saved!”.

[quote=Kristina P.]Show them the movie “Saved!”.
[/quote]

Haha, yeh that is a pretty good suggestion.

In the movie, “White Noise” (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE SEE THIS MOVIE!!!..not for any alledged Anti-Catholic rhetoric, but, just because it is a REALLY bad and stupid and incoherent movie that doesn’t make sense in the end…), the ONLY f-bomb was not only in a Catholic Church, but, in front of a baby as well.

Anyway, if you want to start something, you could tell your friends that the reason that the Catholic Church is always chosen is because everybody knows about the Catholic Church…if somebody were to enter a Presbyterian church, would they know the difference between that & a Methodist church or a Dutch Reformed church? ALSO, yeah it’s always a Catholic Church because the devil will try to pervert the truth at all costs…and what is more truth than the Catholic Church (what, not Who)? Thirdly, if your friends get most of their info on the Church from the movies look at them oddly then burst out laughing. Explain calmly what is wrong.

All sorts of churches are used in “The Devil’s Advocate”. Incidentally, tell your friends that those who ARE practicing members of the Mafia…ANY Mafia, not just Italian, are decried by and refused the Sacraments of the Church…I believe.

Adstrinity:

Just curious, what does your quote mean?

[quote=sainted]I’m just curious as I get asked a lot and sometimes get ridiculed by it. Has any of those films like the ‘God Father’ and God knows how many there are out there been filmed in a catholic church. My friends who are of course Prots always make it a point to make fun and mock the church because of its appearance in most films and very so often in ones depicting obscenity. And could someone give me some hints how to counter this kind of mockery.
[/quote]

Protestant churches tend to be stripped bare of icons. They look like much more municipal meeting halls than churches. Catholic churches are beautiful, by comparison. Also, Catholics have the Rosary, holy cards, the Sign of the Cross. All of these things are things which the camera can focus on. I don’t think that negative focusing-in on Catholicism is the result of Hollywood prejudice per se. We happen to be interesting to film, and at the same time the liberal media is increasingly negative and sick in its overall orientation.

I actually used to be bothered by the fact that all Christian churches in movies and on TV were Catholic because I wasn’t raised Catholic. I never thought about how badly the church is portrayed until I came to these forums.

I finally came to the same conclusion that adstrinity did. The Catholic church is known world-wide as a Christian church and not many other denominations (if any) are as recognizable. If you want to show someone as a Christian, or a fallen-away or bad Christian, to a group of people so diverse that you have no idea where they come from, you make them Catholic.

IIRC the church scene in the Godfather was in an actual church; the Mt Loretto Orphanage on Staten Island (?)

but why would your friends make fun of that? Hollywood is all about numbers and mass appeal (no pun intended) so in the context of a 2 hour movie or a 5 minute scene thay have to convey “church” to as many people as possible so they can quickly get on with the storytelling. With the CC being the largest demoninatinon in the US it makes sense that is what comes to mind when most people think of “church”

it is a sign of success

besides…they’re just prettier :wink:

The Catholic Church is the “city on the hill for the whole world to see”. I cant find the verse for this but Paul is telling Christians the Body would be visible by the whole world. Now, why doesn’t the world know about Bible Church X, or Bible Church Y. I will tell you its because the whole world doesn’t see Bible Church X and Bible Church Y.

God bless

[quote=Roman_Army]Adstrinity:

Just curious, what does your quote mean?
[/quote]

Alright, despite this veering off topic, I’ll reply to it here instead of via pm because you asked on the forum.

The first part, “…a death He freely accepted…” is, of course, from Mass. That’s how I have the signature of both my e-mail accounts before my name & that is originally what I had here. I love that clause in the Consecration.

The second part, “This isn’t Russia, is this Russia? This isn’t Russia,” comes from the movie “Caddyshack” like the moving gopher pic above it. It was said by Chevy Chase’s character when the Danny character says he has to go to college. After asking WHY he HAS to, this is the reply.

There are a lot of things to see and do (sign of the cross, etc.) when portraying Catholicism. Older Catholic churches look nicer than Protestant churches too.

There is a sense of the sacred in a Catholic church- and this helps the actors not to have to look prayerful all on their own- the audience sees what’s around them, and gets the idea.

Because of the sense of the sacred, there is even more irony when someone swears, or fights or kills someone in a Catholic Church.

Also, the ethnicity of the characters (like in the Godfather- they’re Italo-American) sometimes are so tied to Catholicism (Italian, Latino, Irish, Polish, etc.) that it wouldn’t be genuine to their character for church scenes not to be Catholic.

Yeah, I just love this; My sister claims that the movie The Godfather proves the “falseness” of Catholicism because there’s Michael Corleone renouncing Satan before God while all his capos and henchmen are out whacking Mike’s rivals. :rolleyes:
But she sure recognized the church in which the baptism takes place as Catholic.
I stopped trying to explain to her long ago.
Better luck to you sainted.

“Holywood” is the title of a Marilyn Manson album.

cheddar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.