Is Catholicism A Sleeping Giant?

Is the Catholic Church today dormant in America and around the world? I have sometimes felt that either the Church is dormant or its preaching of the Gospel has been stifled in the media around the world.

Even when I go to Church I hardly ever hear the priest talk about vitally important matters. I know the bishops speak out periodically on their own and as a group, but then you don’t hear from them again until a few years later. It almost seems as though many church leaders don’t even want to hear about or discuss abortion any more … and this is the greatest evil of our time.

Are my fears unwarranted? Is the Church really and truly awake, or is it dormant? And, when rested, will it wake up loaded for bear?

Hello Gilbert,

There was a time when I felt the same, but after doing alot more studying I have begun to feel the opposite. Today for instance our homily was wonderful, our priest discussed the horrible events that have taken place in the south, but not forgetting the horrible event that has been taking place for the past thirty years. I also felt a serge of energy at the very sad passing of our beloved Pope John Paul II it was wonderful seeing all the youth at this event. I really feel that the world is waking up and seeing what is important.

Now with that being said I have to remind you that we are also the church and is also ultimately up to us to keep the Church running. It is also our responsibility to make sure that the important issues are always on the top burner. Go to your Priest and tell him how you feel about the lack of talk on the abortion issue, I bet he just needs that little push to give him the courage to talk about it more. And don’t forget study, study study, so that you are always aware of the teaching of the Church so that you can defend and live by example.

Good Luck.

Sleeping giant? Tell that the million plus youth who trekked to World Youth Day. Join the new evangelization called for in Vatican II, and spread the good news about this faith. Tell you sleepy priest to do the same…but in a nice way. :slight_smile:

I didn’t think we were a giant in the U.S. I think in places that are Catholic (and not just Catholic but, CATHOLIC you see things like World Youth Day) but, places like my home town is just Catholic (just speaking of what I see in my age group, I at 20 do not hang out with the business men or Retirees).Of course I always see a bunch of people (outside the church) that almost talk like the Klan and those dirty “Papest” so it might just be that the people (again my age group) are afraid (and who wouldn’t be at our age).I know that evangaliztion in africa is no sleeping Giant but, I am not so sure about America. Just my ovservations.

[quote=Gilbert Keith]Is the Catholic Church today dormant in America and around the world? I have sometimes felt that either the Church is dormant or its preaching of the Gospel has been stifled in the media around the world.

Even when I go to Church I hardly ever hear the priest talk about vitally important matters.

[/quote]

There is plenty I could criticize about our Church in America. However, the sermons have gotten significantly better in my estimation. I have a hunch I am simply a more educated, interested listener than I used to be. I also feel the younger priests are a little more conservative than I remember…

Phil

I say yes, especially considering we have things like the internet where people CAN find ANSWERS to their religious questions. It isnt anymore getting stuck believing in what your family grew up believing simply because you didnt have access to what was out there.

Especially in the case of stuff like the Early Church Fathers and Councils ONLINE for FREE, easily accessable, in english, etc I think Catholicism will start to appeal to those who really do want to look into the facts and now can.

Not to mention it could easily be shown that Protestant churches in some cases are not appealing to people and/or turning them away to other pastures.

The whole Sola Scriptura personal interpretation mentality is taking a huge hit when you factor in Church Fathers and at the same time gross distortions like various churches allowing same sex unions, abortion on demand, etc people are/will starting to wake up I believe.

Also factor in the mexican population is growing big time, there is Catholics right there.

[quote=Gilbert Keith]Is the Catholic Church today dormant in America and around the world? I have sometimes felt that either the Church is dormant or its preaching of the Gospel has been stifled in the media around the world.

Even when I go to Church I hardly ever hear the priest talk about vitally important matters. I know the bishops speak out periodically on their own and as a group, but then you don’t hear from them again until a few years later. It almost seems as though many church leaders don’t even want to hear about or discuss abortion any more … and this is the greatest evil of our time.

Are my fears unwarranted? Is the Church really and truly awake, or is it dormant? And, when rested, will it wake up loaded for bear?
[/quote]

JMJ

I don’t know where you’ve been but the Church has been a giant in our country on moral issues. Let’s take the following and see what Christ’s body, His Catholic Church teaches on them every day:

Gay marriage! NO!
Abortion! NO
Birth Control (a form of abortion)! NO!
Death Penalty (in the USA)! NO!
Obligation to help the poor! YES!
Assited suicide! NO!
Dignity in Death! YES!
Murder of our elderly and ill (ex: Terry Schivo) NO! (Pope JP II even led us by example on this issue!)

Come on and add some issues for Gilbert to see.

Sometimes we just get so accustomed to hearing something we tune it out. The Church teaches on Moral and Faith issues. The Church has taken a strong stand on so many issues that countless Protestants have caved in on.

Open your eyes and read what the Church writes. Open your ears and hear what the Church preaches. She is vocal and preaching the Gospel of Christ for us to hear. She looses members daily because she has stood the test of time, she has stood with Christ, she has resisted “RE”-form away from Christ and His Gospel. Our Church is the visible body of Christ and as such she leads us daily to Him and spreads His word to us.

Pick what you want to believe as a Protestant and then go and find a church/preacher that makes you feel good and believes what you want. Can’t find a church? Start your own! Jesus did not teach that and neither does His Catholic Church. She stays loyal to Him. She does not change her Faith and Morals to keep her members - 16 Million EX-Catholics in the US alone prove this. The Church keeps and preserves the Faith God gave her. She passes that Faith on to us. We choose to hear it or not.

The Catholic Church is a bright, shinning and brilliantly radiant beacon of light in a Protestant Nation turning it’s back on God and the Morals and Faith He gave us. Stop watching CNN and CBS for your news on the Catholic Church and start listening to the Pope, our bishops, preists and reading our Catholic papers. These sources are filled with Catholic teachings on hot issues today. Watch EWTN too.

Sorry, you may have a hum drum preist or not have access to Catholic publications. One preist is not the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church has had it’s share of bad preists too, just look at that horrible one we had a while back, what was his name, oh yea, he was Martin Luther!

Another thing that gives me hope…I live in Portland Oregon where our Archdiocese is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy; we have legally protected assisted suicide; our Catholic County Commissioner Chairperson led the charge for gay marriage without a peep from our bishop whom I love dearly for many other reasons; our Mayor disallowed the use of the term Christmas tree to describe the three in the public square; abortion is legal through the 9th month; and John Kerry won the city’s vote by 72%.

Despite all of that…our RCIA class gets bigger every year and it’s filled with folks in their 20s. JP II said the youth would re-energize the faith and he appears to be prophetic…even in Portland.

[quote=StCsDavid]Another thing that gives me hope…I live in Portland Oregon where our Archdiocese is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy; we have legally protected assisted suicide; our Catholic County Commissioner Chairperson led the charge for gay marriage without a peep from our bishop whom I love dearly for many other reasons; our Mayor disallowed the use of the term Christmas tree to describe the three in the public square; abortion is legal through the 9th month; and John Kerry won the city’s vote by 72%.

** Despite all of that…our RCIA class gets bigger every year and it’s filled with folks in their 20s.** JP II said the youth would re-energize the faith and he appears to be prophetic…even in Portland.
[/quote]

I hear you, dont forget all the meth problems around here!

Anyway the thing that gave me hope is that even though kerry won, for some reason measure 36 passed (for now), but none the less that was a good sign.

[quote=Catholic Dude]…for some reason measure 36 passed (for now)
[/quote]

Measure 36 was a state-wide measure. As I recall, it failed in both Multnomah and Washington Counties.

But, ahem, back on-topic: The Catholic Church has “slept” and “awaken” before. However, when something is 2,000 years old, it’s routine sleep cycles tend to be measured in decades or centuries.

I think the Church is also a sleeping giant. But I don’t expect Her to awaken within my lifetime. Pity.

[quote=StCsDavid]Another thing that gives me hope…I live in Portland Oregon where our Archdiocese is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy; we have legally protected assisted suicide; our Catholic County Commissioner Chairperson led the charge for gay marriage without a peep from our bishop whom I love dearly for many other reasons; our Mayor disallowed the use of the term Christmas tree to describe the three in the public square; abortion is legal through the 9th month; and John Kerry won the city’s vote by 72%.

Despite all of that…our RCIA class gets bigger every year and it’s filled with folks in their 20s. JP II said the youth would re-energize the faith and he appears to be prophetic…even in Portland.
[/quote]

Optimistic view, thanks for sharing this

DAVIDFILMER

I think the Church is also a sleeping giant. But I don’t expect Her to awaken within my lifetime. Pity.

David, I worry about the same because I want to be awake when the Church wakens. Several years ago I had a dream that really crystalized all my hopes and prayers. I dreamed that there was a protest march on the Capitol building in Washington. Heading the parade were all the American bishops in full regalia. Following them were the leaders of every Protestant denomination and Jewish and Islamic group in America.

They got to the steps and all prayed and sang together. The leaders of each group in turn spoke passionately to the hundreds of thousands assembled along Pennsylvania Ave, begging them to put aside all other differences and unite on this single issue…

Their focus was singular: They begged the President, the Congress, and the Supreme Court to STOP ABORTION.

Taking this scene in its entirety, do you think it would stand a chance of producing the desired results? Or would the President, the Congress and the Courts go on their merry way to destroying the conscience of America?

And would the wakened giant of Religion be shown for what some will always say it is … a chimera … all vain wishful thinking?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.