Is Catholicism TRULY what Christianity is?

Are really what Catholicism believe Bible related?

Everything that the Church teaches is Biblically sound, but everything we teach is not explicitly spelled out in the Bible. There are two key things to keep in mind when considering this:

#1: The Bible did not exist for the first three hundred years or so of Christianity; it wasn’t until the third century that the Church compiled it under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

#2: Jesus did not tell the Apostles to go forth and hand out Bibles to people, but instead to go forth and teach:

Matthew 28:

The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them.
When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted.
Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

The Bible did not exist at the start of Christianity, only the teaching authority imparted by Christ did. This authority was given to Peter:

Matthew 16:

When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”
Then he strictly ordered his disciples to tell no one that he was the Messiah.

This authority has continued down throughout history through the unbroken line of successors to the Chair of Peter / Bishopric of Rome, The Pope.

Jesus Christ did not want us to put our faith just in a book. In fact, He never even mentions creating a book. He wants us to teach. The Bible is a useful tool for teaching, and we are not capable of rejecting what it teaches since it’s the infallible word of God; but ultimately, Christ’s authority is found in the Church He founded.

Are you asking if what we believe as Catholics can be found in the Bible? We get our beliefs from the Bible, yes. However, not everything we believe is in the Bible alone. We also have Sacred Tradition that guides us as well. Remember, John says

“But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.” - John 21:25.

So, we use the Bible and Sacred Tradition together to know what we belief.

Now, that being said. The Bible will never be at odds with what we belief from Sacred Tradition. The Bible may just not explain well enough, and we can see from Tradition (big T) what we belief.

Yes. Read the catechism to find out about it.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

We believe the Catholic Church has the fullness of truth, where the Holy Spirit leads it into all truth. It was founded by Jesus on Peter and the Apostles and has bishops that date back to the Apostles. We believe Jesus when he said he would found his Church on Peter and the gates of Hades would not prevail over it.

Having said that we don’t believe that other Christians are not Christian. However, they are lacking the fulness of Christianity and the fullness of truth. They lack for instance the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. If the Eucharist really is the Body and Blood of Jesus and Jesus commands us to eat it in John 6, then everyone should be a Catholic, so they can participate in it. If not there are missing out on that grace in their lives. They are missing out on what Jesus intended for them to have to abide in him (John 6).

I know a Catholic convert from the Church of Christ who was very good at converting Catholics away from Catholicism to his Church. Later he married a Catholic and became a Catholic. God works in mysterious ways to reveal himself to Protestants who think the Bible alone reveals Christ’s authentic word of salvation.

I knew a man who grew up very anti-Catholic because his father was a preacher and he was anti-Catholic. We had many discussions over the years and then they moved away. He even told me he liked me in spite of the fact that I was a Catholic. He and his wife, (who was protestant also but not anti-Catholic), took a trip with a group to Italy and he adamantly refuse to go into St. Peters Basilica with the group. Years later when he passed away, his wife told me he wanted a priest before he died. God does work in very mysterious ways. God Bless, Memaw

Oh how I wish I had some of you folks on another thread with me. Some accuse me of having an attitude because I speak the truth. God Bless, Memaw

Many converted from Catholicism to Christianity, what being convert has to do with the original question?

Also, the Bible wasn’t readily available for 1500-1700 years or so after Christ. Many couldn’t even read it and had to have it taught to them by Church ministers.

How do you define Christianity and why is Catholicism excluded?

Nice, thanks. Well said :thumbsup:

Moreso than many n-Cs and a-Cs want to believe.

I get into this in a couple of my blog articles.
Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?
How Is A Catholic Saved?
“I Find No Sacraments In the Bible” he said.
What Was Authentic Early Christian Worship Really Like?

Yeah and there are a lot of them like me that have come back. See My Testimony

Yes.

Sola scriptura is not in the bible.

It was a new doctrine created by Martin Luther in 16th century Germany.

The bible says scripture is profitable for ministry (the basis of sola scriptura), but it also says Mark is profitable for ministry.

Catholicism is the original Christianity. It was the one expression of Christianity across the world until 1054’s schism, which developed the phenomena of two expressions: the Catholic Church and the Orthodox church. Protestantism came about 500 years later from a rebellious priest named Martin Luther.

Everything in Catholicism can be explained from the Bible and Church history. :slight_smile:

And if you don’t believe that, check out the “Catechism of the Catholic Church” for yourself!. God Bless, Memaw

Yes…for it was the Catholic Church that sifted through several hundred writings…or books and bound them together to what is you now call the Bible.

Catholicism is helping people develop a saving, personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ by means of all the gifts that Jesus Christ and his Apostles left behind for that purpose. They left behind the gift of their teachings in two complimentary forms, namely Sacred Scripture and Sacred (Oral)Tradition. They left behind the gift of the seven Sacraments (Baptism, Eucharist, etc.), efficacious signs of God’s grace. And they left behind the gift of ordained bishops with the power to ordain other bishops in apostolic succession, who, when in communion with St Peter’s successor, the bishop of Rome (the pope), form a Magisterium, an infallible, living interpreter of both Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition from the first century until the end of time.

St Paul spoke about the two complimentary forms in which the gift of the teachings of Jesus Christ and his Apostles were left behind when he said, “So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter” (2 Thes 2:15). And when he said, “About the other things I will give instructions when I come.” (1 Cor 11:34)

St Paul spoke many times about the gift of the bishops or elders, as they are sometimes called in the New Testament, that were left behind, including when he said, “And what you have heard from me through many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others as well.” (2 Tim 2:2) And when he said, “Now a bishop must be … an apt teacher.” (1 Tim 3:2) And when he said, “Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching.” (1 Tim 5:17) And when he said, “And his gifts were that some should be … pastors and teachers.” (Eph 4:11) The author of Hebrews also spoke about them, when he said, “Obey your leaders and submit to them.” (Heb 13:17)

St Peter spoke about the need in every age for the gift of a living Magisterium to infallibly interpret Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition when he said concerning St Paul’s letters, “There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures.” (2 Pet 3:16)

Other Christian Churches and ecclesial communities posses these gifts in varying amounts, some have only a few of the gifts while others have most of the gifts, but only the Catholic Church has all the gifts left behind by Jesus Christ and his Apostles to help people develop a saving, personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.