Is celebrating Mass on Sundays Biblical?

I have become increasingly distressed that my much-loved brother is no longer a practicing Catholic. I’ve decided to approach him about it; however, my mother said he challenged her the other day to show him where attending Mass on Sundays is mentioned in the Bible. I know we don’t believe the sola scriptura stance and I could go into a protracted argument to diffuse this, but I’m pretty sure he was just being a smart aleck and trying to get Mom off his back. Are there any Biblical references to give so that he’ll abandon this line of reasoning and start listening? I’m looking to sort of throw him off balance I guess, since he’s obviously doing this not expecting an answer.

It is clear from Acts 2:42 that the earliest Christians called the Eucharistic celebration (i.e. Mass) the breaking of bread: “they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers”. Later we are told when they did this: “On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread…” (Acts 20:7). The first day of the week was (and still is) Sunday.

See also Sabbath or Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.