Is "centering prayer" discouraged among catholics

I am enrolled in a religious course with my church, it is about “prayer” and how we can pray better. The course is approved by the diocese and has been taught for years. The leader of the course made a comment last night asking us to reflect on our image of God, ie: what do we see in our minds eye when we think of Jesus/God. S, he said "it may be a he or a she, and she went on to say that manywomen who have had tumultuous relationships with males may not view Jesus as a man, and viewing him as a female may be safer? Huh??? I’ve never had an image of God as a woman, not even in my most challenging relationships with men…I almost walked out of that course.
She also teaches “centering prayer” method… Is this legit?
I’m confused.

These links should explain centering prayer. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Is Centering Prayer Catholic meditation?
*]Can Catholics engage in Centering Prayer?
*]Is Lectio Divina considered Centering Prayer?
*]Is seeking contemplative prayer wrong?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.