Is changing your mind a sin?

Is it?

You may need to be a little more specific, as “changing your mind” would depend on the circumstance, since it is a very broad term. With regards to things like personal decisions, like whether to eat steak or a burger, probably not, but with regards to other, more serious matters, like changing your mind about keeping your word for example, it would be sinful. If you specify or give an example, you’ll probably get better help.

Like you say to yourself im going to eat a burger but then choose to eat a pancake without anyother person except for yourself involved.

Why would you think this is a sin?

If it was, I would burn for all eternity- I can never decide what I want to eat most days!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with a priest or deacon and discuss this with them.

Peace be with you on your journey.

I agree speaking with a priest would be wise.
Mary.

Welcome to CAF! :wave:

No, changing your mind is not a sin (unless as Aeden says, it were about a more serious matter – but I would tend to describe more serious matters not as “changing your mind” but rather “breaking a promise” or some such thing).

I agree with the others that talking to a priest would be a good idea. If you often are plagued by these types of questions, a priest will give you good guidance in forming your conscience properly so as not to see sin in every mundane aspect of daily life.

Why on Earth would changing your mind be a sin?

A total hypothetical:

If you think you love someone and you marry them in the Catholic church…and then you “change your mind” and think differently and realize you don’t want to be married to them anymore…and no matter what you do or tell yourself, you cannot change these thoughts and feelings inside of you (even tho, yes, you’ve been told over and over the “love is not a feeling”…)

Then, is it sort of a sin?

You cannot have something that is “sort of” a sin. It either is, or isn’t a sin.

Deciding that you are no longer ‘in love’ with your spouse is not a sin. Divorcing them, on the other hand, would most definitely be a sin.

How on earth could that be a sin? :confused:

No it is not. We need to change our minds often. It is part and parcel of growing up as human beings. Angels for instance are not made like us and it is quite impossible for them to change their mind. The reason we know this is by their sin which led them away from God. The angels who sinned could not change their mind. Man however has this ability to change his mind. Without it we could never repent. So count it as a blessing.

I don’t think this is even in the same league as what the OP is asking about. I wouldn’t call that the sin of changing one’s mind. I would call it something else.

The OP is talking about eating a burger when he had previously decided on pancakes.

It’s the first idea that came to my mind when I read the O.P.

Yes, it certainly is a sin.

On second thought, no, I don’t think it is a sin.

:wink:

(Do I need to go to confession for this post?) :blush:

:smiley: v.good. Also, if a person does break a promise - well that’s not necessarily sinful either; they might have had good reason or found out information which then required them to change their minds about what was best. Even with divorce - the church doesnt consider divorce per se as a sin - how could it be, especially if one is then granted an annulment?

Oh so evil!! That is what worries me about Heaven. Will we lose the right to laugh at each other in some serious group hug? I will miss being bad, that is why I probably won’t get there.

Most certainly not.
Sin doesn’t exist, and changing your mind is most likely not a crime.

This is the single most ridiculous “is this a sin” thread I’ve ever seen. How could it possibly be a sin to change your mind about what to have for lunch? I hope the OP followed the advice to see his priest, because he’s going to drive himself crazy if he thinks all of his inconsequential decisions must be totally final. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.