Is charging money for college theology classes simony?

Is being a theology professor at a Catholic college and getting money for teaching courses the sin of simony (CCC 2121 “Simony is defined as the buying or selling of spiritual things”)? The money the students pay to take my course would not be an optional donation. They will be forced to pay for the credit hours to learn and get credit for learning.

I hope it’s not simony but I need reasons for believing it isn’t for my conscience. Or else I might have to pick a new major soon. Thanks.

Q: Is charging money for college theology classes simony?

A: No.

Okay. I was also reading more of the CCC and it says that too. CCC 2122 quotes the bible saying “The laborer deserves his food.” and cites Mt 10:10; cf. Lk 10:7; 2 Cor 9:5-18; 1 Tim 5:17-18 on it.

He isn’t charging money for people to here the gospel so no it is not simony. He is giving you an education on a subject which is the study of religion.

Remember that priests draw a salary too. Not simony, because "the laborer is worth his hire." It would only be simony if he's actually charging for the sacraments.

-ACEGC

An example of simony is when someone like a king wants to buy off an office for bishop or when a wealthy man wants to buy ordination or buy a bishop's position so that he can exercise his influence on people.

[quote="JMatthewA, post:1, topic:344389"]
Is being a theology professor at a Catholic college and getting money for teaching courses the sin of simony (CCC 2121 "Simony is defined as the buying or selling of spiritual things")? The money the students pay to take my course would not be an optional donation. They will be forced to pay for the credit hours to learn and get credit for learning.

I hope it's not simony but I need reasons for believing it isn't for my conscience. Or else I might have to pick a new major soon. Thanks.

[/quote]

NO.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.