Is cheating on a video game a sin?

I’m a huge fan of the Pokemon series. Is it a sin to use an action replay to get strong Pokemon, level them up fast, etc?

Of Course Not!! Have fun

I think the answer depends on that particular game, and are you playing single player or multiplayer? Single player… if you cheat I don’t think that would be a sin. But you’re going to ruin the game for yourself by making it too easy. Multi? In my opinion yes. You’ll hurt other players experience and there is a trust that has been broken in the game if you cheat and play with/against other players. Either way, you lose.

Agreed. :slight_smile:

It all depends on whether you have any objective obligation to play straight. Otherwise it has no more moral implications than skipping ahead in a novel you are reading does. It’s up to you.

Thanks for all the responses!

Also, what if I use the cheated Pokemon against my brother or people online?

If you cheat against other people… c’mon, I think you know the answer to that.

I don’t. I can get the same Pokemon just about as strong, but it would take much longer. The action replay is more of a time saver.

Be honest, do not cheat, you would only be putting a dent in your soul. Why risk that? It is better to please God in all your actions.

I would say it’s probably not a sin. I’ve actually raised pokémon to Lv. 100 before AND I’ve EV trained them. I know how much of a time saver action replay is

EV training takes too long! Even with pkrs and the braces!

It is not, so long as you do not conceal it from your opponents.

I used to be big into operation flashpoint.
hacking was a game within the game.
the Maverick launching M-4 hack was devastating.

No, I mean to manipulate the game’s code is perfectly fine and if you permenately mess up the game I guess that would be your “punishment” of “cheating” in the game. I mean if you take your game to a tournament you wouldn’t be disqualified maybe don’t quote me on that…

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

CHEATING. Deception by trickery or fraud in order to gain materially, socially, or psychologically. Cheating is always sinful. Its gravity depends on the harm inflicted on the person defrauded or on some third party. True repentance for cheating requires at least the willingness to make restitution for the harm that may have been caused.

Let’s cut to the chase and be prudes…Pokemon is immoral to begin with! They’re like little devils and there’s evolution! :p:p:p

looks at dozens of Pokemon I hacked in and Rare Candied up to level 100 …Yeah, no, you’re good. It’s a game. And even if you do cheat to get them all to level 100, due to the lack of EV’s they get, they’ll generally be weaker than hand-raising them up to that level :wink:

Plus, a lot of competitive players hack in their Pokemon with perfect EV’s, moves and IV’s, just because doing it the vanilla way would take a stupidly long amount of time.

Cute little devils, mind you! :smiley:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4901000980595384&pid=15.1

Lol, I also used the action replay to give them 31 IVs and EV train them.

Haha :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses everyone!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.