Is Christ around you?

Guys,

How do you know if it’s Christ presence that’s around you? I mean, do you feel something? I had an experience yesterday at my apartment when I was working on my computer and wasn’t quite sure if it was just my mere imagination/sense or if it was truly Christ.

Help here?

Sometimes, you just know.

[quote=JackmanUSC]Sometimes, you just know.
[/quote]

Yeah, but HOW?!?

Well considering the Church is surrounded by Mysteries (Rosary, Eucharist etc.) sometimes we don’t know how we just know why and that it is there.

[quote=JackmanUSC]Well considering the Church is surrounded by Mysteries (Rosary, Eucharist etc.) sometimes we don’t know how we just know why and that it is there.
[/quote]

That doesn’t help. I’m talking about like when you’re by yourself at home, etc.

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

How do you know if it’s Christ presence that’s around you? I mean, do you feel something?
[/quote]

feelings and emotions and sense experiences in general are seldom, if ever, reliable guides to one’s spiritual condition or experience, or of the reality of God’s presence and action in one’s life, according to most of the great classical spiritual writers and directors.

[quote=puzzleannie]feelings and emotions and sense experiences in general are seldom, if ever, reliable guides to one’s spiritual condition or experience, or of the reality of God’s presence and action in one’s life, according to most of the great classical spiritual writers and directors.
[/quote]

So that means…? Emotions and feelings don’t help?

When you felt a presence did you feel truly at peace? Did you feel comforted and safe? I think whenever I feel something like that I know it is Christ protecting me as He does all of us. Or sometimes if I am lonely I’ll ask to feel protected and I do. :slight_smile:

[quote=MidnightSun02]When you felt a presence did you feel truly at peace? Did you feel comforted and safe? I think whenever I feel something like that I know it is Christ protecting me as He does all of us. Or sometimes if I am lonely I’ll ask to feel protected and I do. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Well, it’s hard to explain. If I can remember correctly, it felt more like a gentle force and I could literally feel something inside - as if my soul was being touched? - and it just SEEMED like something was trying to be said to me? Meaning, that if it was Christ, I felt that He was trying to say something to me. I don’t know, I can’t explain this feeling unless you’ve had one yourself.

Experiences need to be tested. What do you think Jesus was trying to say to you? Does it line up with scripture? Does it draw you closer to God? Was He simply calling you to pray and did you? Did you respond by worshipping Him? And if not, try it next time. Find some easy worship songs you can gently sing to Him and do so. If while doing that, you have a great sense of peace and comfort, then indeed that would be a way to sense God’s Presence.

If you’re sensing something but are confused, it’s likely not Jesus. He’s not the author of confusion. Generally, when He comes, you KNOW it.

David

[quote=DavidB]Experiences need to be tested. What do you think Jesus was trying to say to you? Does it line up with scripture? Does it draw you closer to God? Was He simply calling you to pray and did you? Did you respond by worshipping Him? And if not, try it next time. Find some easy worship songs you can gently sing to Him and do so. If while doing that, you have a great sense of peace and comfort, then indeed that would be a way to sense God’s Presence.

If you’re sensing something but are confused, it’s likely not Jesus. He’s not the author of confusion. Generally, when He comes, you KNOW it.

David
[/quote]

Then it was Him

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.