Is Christ suffering on the cross now?

I heard Bishop Fulton Sheen say in one of his last public appearances that “Christ is suffering on the cross and will be until the end of time”. I understand how Jesus passion transends space and time but will He suffer eternally?
God Bless
Dave H

“the end of time” means the end of our physical world ----- not eternity.
I’m thinking the ongoing suffering Bishop Sheen is referring to has to do with “suffering” it causes Our Lord when He sees us sinning and/or rejecting the salvation He offers. Also, His sharing in the suffering experienced by us here on earth.

John 19:30 (New International Version)
When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

For your consideration:

I don’t believe that Bishop Sheen’s statement is a “metaphor”…and …in that Christ really and truly suffers now…why? If he is the real living head of the Church and we all make up his body (in heaven, on earth, and in purgatory)…then it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that with all the current and real sufferings in the Church…the Body of Christ…as a Body…the Head also has to suffer.

Its that simple to me. In other words, if Christ is not suffering now…then all the words about the Church being the Body of Christ and we being all the parts that make up the body, with Christ as the Head (the pope being the visible head on earth)…then all that stuff is simply a nice image but not a metaphysical reality…a dogmatic truth. However, I chose to believe that it is true…from what some of the scripture and CCC quotes below say…both Saint Paul and the Chruch…this is as a dogmatic metaphysical truth…a reality…thus Christ also has to be suffering right now.

As Pope B-XVI says…look at the filth in the Chruch and the scandals that defile it… they come from within the Body of Christ…so…Our Lord Jesus, The Christ must also be suffering!

Pax Christi

1 Corinthians 12: 24b-27 (NIV)

24b But** God has combined the members of the bod****y** and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now** you are the body of Christ**, and each one of you is a part of it.

**Ephesians 5: 23 (NIV)

23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.

CCC-1267
Baptism makes us members of the Body of Christ
: “Therefore . . . we are members one of another.” Baptism incorporates us into the Church. From the baptismal fonts is born the one People of God of the New Covenant, which transcends all the natural or human limits of nations, cultures, races, and sexes: “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body.

**CCC-1140
**It is the whole community, the Body of Christ united with its Head, that celebrates. “Liturgical services are not private functions but are celebrations of the Church which is ‘the sacrament of unity,’ namely, the holy people united and organized under the authority of the bishops. Therefore, liturgical services pertain to the whole Body of the Church. They manifest it, and have effects upon it. But they touch individual members of the Church in different ways, depending on their orders, their role in the liturgical services, and their actual participation in them.” For this reason, “rites which are meant to be celebrated in common, with the faithful present and actively participating, should as far as possible be celebrated in that way rather than by an individual and quasi-privately.”

:thumbsup: Great explanation Lancer.

I thought of a couple Scripture passages where Jesus actually names some times when this has occurred (Acts 9) and/or continues to occur (Mt.):

Acts 9:4-5 And he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting;

Mt 25:31-46…40. And the King will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’
… 45. Then he will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.