Is Christianity a religion of the book?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

107 The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures."72

108 Still, the Christian faith is **not a “religion of the book.” **Christianity is the religion of the “Word” of God, a word which is “not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living”. If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, "open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures."

Do you agree with this statement?

The poll by the way is max out so if you have any different opinions. Please explain in this thread.

Thanks.

No takers? :shrug:

The passages from the CCC merely confirm what the Church teaches about the Bible. It nowhere states that the Bible is the end all and be all of Catholic teaching.

If you have no takers it might be because the idea that Catholicism/Christianity (that’s true Christianity) is a “religion of the book” a moot point since it’s simply not true.

I don’t understand the question. :shrug:

Is Christianity a religion of the Book (Bible)?

You’re asking an “either/or” question instead of one that touches the whole reality. Is Christianity mearly a faith of the book or is it more? Is the Word of God only scripture or is the Word of God much, much more than that? John tells us that all of the books in the world could not contain the whole story of Christ and we know that the Word of God is Christ. To me, a better question would be is there more to Christianity than only a limited view of the Bible.

Depends on which form of Christianity.

Catholicism, the purest form, is definitely not a religion of the book. The Eastern Orthodox Churches and some Protestants are not religions of the book either. But there are some Protestant denominations are a religion of a book or very close to it.

Here is a post discussing this on Ignatius Insight Scoop Blog that was posted not too long ago:

insightscoop.typepad.com/2004/2007/08/the-baptist-pre.html

108 Still, the Christian faith is not a “religion of the book.” Christianity is the religion of the “Word” of God, a word which is “not a written and mute word, but the Word which is incarnate and living”. If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, “open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures.”

Christianity is a Life to be lived rather than a book to be read. That is why those Catholics in Japan kept the Faith after Catholicism was banned in the 17th century. Biblical phrases or prayers were transferred orally from parent to child. They had kept the rite of baptism and the liturgical years without European priests for nearly 250 years.

I don’t know what that means? The Bible wasn’t completed until after the Church was established so…???:shrug:

Well read the Catechism # 108. It is pretty clear Christianity is not the religion of the Book. It is the religion of the “Word of God,” a word which is not written and a mute word, but a Word which is incarnate and living, Christ, the Eternal Word of the Living God…

hmmm…maybe I didn’t misunderstand it but was looking for a deeper meaning than was there? Of course Christainity is not dependent upon the written Bible otherwise the church would not have survived up until the Bible was produced.

So far only two Protestants believe Christianity is the religion of the book.

Isn’t it strange that God told Moses to write, the Angel told Mohammad to write, but Jesus never told the Apostles to write? He told them to proclaim, with their own voice, in person, to the whole world. :hmmm:

Jesus said preach… to preach how? orally…

Can’t see another way to do it. It would be awfully quiet in church if the preacher handed out PowerPoint slides and told people to just sit down and read them. :smiley:

Death by PowerPoint is cruel and unusual punishment in all 50 states, BTW :stuck_out_tongue:

Christianity long preceded the portion of the Bible in which it is described.

I think the notion of “a religion of the book” was a recognition by Muslims that the Jews were to be tolerated because by 700 AD both Islam and Judaism were strongly rooted in the Old Testament. I suppose that that might also be applied to the varied forms of Christianity, but I don’t think the Muslims ever thought so.

I believe that to make too much of the notion would be a mistake, but there is a certain rational for using the term, as “the Book” is an important component in living our Faiths today. Why else do we all have our noses in the Bible or the Q’uran?

It would be more accurate to say that the Book is one expression of the religion of Christianity, as the Church was functioning in all her fulness before ONE WORD of the NT was written down.

I know this is OT, so Mods if this needs to be moved, so be it. I just know this is a thread started by MannyFit75 & thought I’d start here.

I mainly lurk on these boards, & have come to learn a lot from the “regulars” who participate here.

On the news this morning there was a bombing at Camp Victory, 2 killed, 40 injured & just realized that is where MannyFit75 is stationed. We all need to pray for him & all stationed there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.