Is Christmas Eve Mas a Sunday Mass?

If Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday night, is going to Mass on Christmas Eve fulfils the Sunday obligation?

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

It is the time that a Mass is said, not the readings, that make it qualify. So you can fulfill your Sunday obligation by attending the Christmas Vigil (not the midnight Mass). However, there are two separate obligations, you cannot fulfill them both with a single Mass. You must attend two, even if they’re both liturgically Christmas Masses.

1 Like

There are two obligations to meet. One is for Sunday Mass, the other is for Christmas. Two obligations means two Masses. The Sunday obligation can be met on Saturday evening or anytime on Sunday. The Christmas obligation can be met Sunday evening or anytime on Monday. You choose which two Masses to attend.

It can fulfill your Sunday obligation, but you would have to attend another Mass for Christmas, too. Two obligations this weekend = two Masses.

As others have said, there are two obligations. The 4th Sunday of Advent obligation can be fulfilled tonight or anytime tomorrow. The Christmas obligation can be fulfilled tomorrow night or anytime on Monday.
That being said, liturgically it would be best to attend a Sunday Advent Mass and a Christmas Mass. At our cathedral Sunday Advent Masses are celebrated up to the 12:30 PM Mass tomorrow. The 5 PM Mass is the first Christmas vigil Mass.

Unless your diocese dispenses it, you’ll have to attend two masses. One for Sunday and one for Christmas.

My diocese just dispensed the obligation to attend two Masses for those two obligations, decreeing that attending the Vigil Mass or the Mass during the Night will fulfill both Sunday and Christmas.

Yes but if and only if you attend another Mass during Christmas day.

I’m in trouble. I live in Asia, so I have missed Mas. There is no Mass in the afternoon, only Christmas Vigil.

Go to that Christmas Eve Mass then go to Mass on Christmas morning/day/night. You’re good.

I thought the Christmas vigil mass fulfills your Christmas obligation, not the Sunday one?

Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

Whether a Mass fulfills the obligation depends on the time it is said, not on what day it is said for. Thus a Mass said this Sunday evening can fulfill either obligation (though of course, not both).

1 Like

Hi Arkansan
Could you please find a priest that have written the same information on a website(church website etc.)?
Because sources are important for me as I try to be a good catholic.

Thanx for the info, in God’s House, we
have to follow some decorum!!

He is citing Canon Law for you. You can read it here, but there is no more authoritative source (no priest outweighs Canon Law). http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P4N.HTM

1 Like

It can fulfill either, just not both at the same time.

1 Like

I am a priest. That answer is completely correct.

See canon 1248 which is what the Arkansan posted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.