Is communion a Christian pass over service

Jesus as the pass over lamb.

Is this why we eat his flesh and drink his blood?

Is this why transubstantiation is taught?

So all communication services can do this?
Psalms 138.2

God honors his word ubove his name.

So you can be healed in Jesus name? Is available to everyone?

Jesus established a “Passover” of the new covenant when he established the Eucharist. The communion meal is a Passover celebration. It’s not only that, but the Passover of Judaism is one prefiguration of Communion.

The Lord’s Supper is the Christian version of sacrificial worship, one of the ways Christians receive the benefits of Christ’s bloody sacrifice on the Cross.

Generally, in sacrificial worship, a priest dedicated to some deity offers sacrifices of food and drink to the deity. The food is offered to that deity on an altar (table) dedicated to the deity and the drink is offered to that deity in a cup dedicated to the deity. Then, those worshippers who wish to become partners with the deity and benefit from the offered sacrifices eat of the offered sacrifices, partake of the table of the deity and drink the cup of the deity.

St Paul briefly talks about the sacrificial worship of ancient Israel, of pagans, and of Christians:

14 Therefore, my beloved, shun the worship of idols. … 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? … 18 Consider the practice of Israel; are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar? 19 What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. (1 Cor 10:14-21; also see 1 Cor 17-32)

In ancient Israel, an Aaronic priest sacrificially offered to the Lord some food on an altar (table) dedicated to the Lord and some drink in a cup dedicated to the Lord and those worshippers who wished to become partners with the Lord and benefit from the sacrifices would then eat of the offered sacrifices, partake of the table of the Lord and drink the cup of the Lord.

With respect to pagans, a priest dedicated to a pagan god sacrificially offered to the idol or pagan god (demon) some food on an altar (table) dedicated to the pagan god (demon) and some drink in a cup also dedicated to the pagan god (demon) and those worshippers who wished to become partners with the pagan god (demon) and benefit from the sacrifices would then eat of the sacrifices, partake of the table of the pagan god (demon) and drink the cup of the pagan god (demon).

Now, at the Lord’s Supper, a Christian priest sacrificially offers to the Lord (God the Father), in an unbloody manner, the body of Christ, under the appearance of “the bread which we break,” on a altar (table) dedicated to the Lord and the blood of Christ, under the appearance of wine in “the cup of blessing which we bless,” a cup dedicated to the Lord, and those worthy Christian worshippers who wish to become partners with the Lord and benefit from Christ’s bloody sacrifice on the Cross then eat the sacrifices, partake of the table of the Lord and drink the cup of the Lord, eat the consecrated bread and drink the consecrated wine from the cup of the Lord, eat the body (flesh) of Christ and drink the blood of Christ.

Hi!

Check this out:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]16 Yea, dogs are round about me;
a company of evildoers encircle me;
they have pierced my hands and feet—
17 I can count all my bones—
they stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my garments among them,
and for my raiment they cast lots.

(Psalm 22:16-18)

32 So the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first, and of the other who had been crucified with him; 33 but when they came to Jesus and saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34 But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once there came out blood and water. 35 He who saw it has borne witness—his testimony is true, and he knows that he tells the truth—that you also may believe. 36 For these things took place that the scripture might be fulfilled, “Not a bone of him shall be broken.” 37 And again another scripture says, “They shall look on him whom they have pierced.” (St. John 19:32-37)

43 And the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “This is the ordinance of the passover: no foreigner shall eat of it; 44 but every slave that is bought for money may eat of it after you have circumcised him. 45 No sojourner or hired servant may eat of it. 46 In one house shall it be eaten; you shall not carry forth any of the flesh outside the house; and you shall not break a bone of it. 47 All the congregation of Israel shall keep it. 48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with you and would keep the passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, then he may come near and keep it; he shall be as a native of the land. But no uncircumcised person shall eat of it. 49 There shall be one law for the native and for the stranger who sojourns among you.” (Exodus 12:43-49)
No Bones Broken: the Lamb of God Given to those who Fellowship in God’s Body.

Is this why we eat his flesh and drink his blood?

Is this why transubstantiation is taught?

Actually no; the reason why we do is because Jesus Commanded it (St. John 6) and Instituted it:

19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after supper, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

(St. Luke 22:19-20)

So all communication services can do this?
Psalms 138.2

I do not understand your question; do you mean all denominational groups?

God honors his word ubove his name.

Not sure I follow; in the Old Testament we are Taught that blaspheming the Name of God is subject to death; the Name means God; however, God’s Word is His Bond:

11 so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

(Isaiah 55:11)
Yet, if you mean Sacred Scriptures, consider this:

63 It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

(St. John 6:63)
While some think that Jesus is referencing Scriptures… He is not! The Gospel were inked at least two decades after Jesus’ Ascension; what Jesus is Revealing to us is that His Word is Life: the message He Brings: ‘…eat my Body, drink my Blood.’

So you can be healed in Jesus name? Is available to everyone?

…both healing and the Eucharist must be done in Jesus; this means that the Grace Falls from God and partaking of the Breaking of the Bread must done in the Body of Christ:

23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.

(1 Corinthians 11:23-29)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

I just wanted to say a little more about the Christian version of sacrificial worship as it is a bit more complicated than the sacrificial worship of ancient Israel and of pagans…

If the Passover service is understood as part of sacrificial worship and not simply a meal of remembrance, then, yes, communion is like a Christian Passover service. (See 1 Corinthians 5:7-8)

As noted in my previous post, ancient Israel sometimes engaged in sacrificial worship where food and drink were offered in sacrifice to the Lord and some of the offered food and drink was then shared with worshippers that they might become partners with the Lord and share in the benefits of the sacrifice. The ancient Passover meal was an example of such sacrificial worship as the Passover lamb was first offered in sacrifice to the Lord by an Aaronic priest on the Lord’s altar before it was eaten by the ancient Israelites. (See Deuteronomy 16:1-8.) Similarly, on the cross, Jesus offered himself to God the Father as a sacrifice for the sins of mankind and now, through the ministry of a Christian priest, Jesus is made present under the appearance of bread and wine to be partaken (eaten/drank) of sacramentally by those worthy worshippers who wish to be partners with God and share the benefits of his sacrifice on the cross.

In other words, as Jesus was dying on the makeshift altar of the cross, he, acting as both priest and sacrificial victim, offered his own body and blood as a “bloody” sacrifice, where the sacrificial victim dies, to God the Father for the forgiveness of the sins of mankind. Now, at the Lord’s Supper, a Christian priest transubstantiates bread and wine into the body and blood of the risen Jesus and Jesus is offered again in sacrifice to God the Father but now in an “unbloody” manner, as a “living sacrifice” (see Romans 12:1), where the sacrificial victim (the risen Jesus) is not killed or harmed in any way but is simply presented alive before God the Father, similar to way the tribe of Levi was once offered as a living sacrifice to the Lord by Aaron the priest. (See Numbers 8:10-21) Because Jesus is the sacrificial victim of both sacrificial offerings, namely, the “bloody” sacrificial offering on the cross 2000 years ago and the “unbloody” sacrificial offering at the Lord’s Supper now, those worshippers who sacramentally eat his body and drink his blood at the Lord’s Supper share in the benefits of both sacrifices, the “bloody” sacrifice 2000 years ago and the “unbloody” sacrifice now.

The close connection between Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross and the sacrifice of the Lord’s Supper can be seen by noting that the risen Jesus who is now offered at the Lord’s Supper in an “unbloody” manner still bears in his glorified body the marks of his “bloody” sacrifice on the cross 2000 years ago. (See John 20:19-29; Revelation 5:6)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.