Is communion important for Faith

Is communion important for Faith Is communion important for Faith/Salvation

How important is communion for your Faith, Does Jesus require us in the gospels to participate in the Body and Blood of Christ.?

Sara

[quote=sara888]Is communion important for Faith/Salvation

In so far as it conveys God’s graces to us, it is. We need to continually draw on God’s grace in order to persevere in our faith.

How important is communion for your Faith, Does Jesus require us in the gospels to participate in the Body and Blood of Christ?

**It is very important to my faith for the reason I cited above and also to maintain a personal relationship/devotion for Our Lord.

Jesus instituted communion as his last act before entering into his passion. It was very important to him! :wink: Through the Eucharist Christ remains with us until the end of time. The Church recognizes this and so makes attending Sunday Masses and Holy Days of Obligation mandatory. We are not required to receive communion except once a year, if we are able.**

[/quote]

Jesus, Himself, stressed the importance of Holy Communion:

“I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread which I shall give for the the life of the world is my flesh.” John 6:51

[size=3]]John6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

John6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day****.

In Matthew 19:16, Jesus was asked what must be done to inherit eternal life. His answer: “If you want to enter life, obey the commandments”

Today some people will tell you that keeping the commandments was fulfilled by Christ, so we are no longer required to keep them. Let’s notice what Jesus has to say about this idea.

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill” (Matthew 5:17).[/size]

Sara

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.