Is Communion Wafer supposed to taste salty?

Is Communion Wafer supposed to taste salty? Sometimes the wafer is tasteless, and sometimes, it tastes really salty.

Ive never tasted a salty holy communion wafer…ask your priest about it…he would know!..

What came to mind when you said salty was…if one of the people distributing the holy communion to the congregation had hands that were slightly sweating then maybe the salt from the sweat is what you are tasting :smiley:

Don’t know, but I do know the Communion Wafer is NOT made with sugar in it – just wheat flour and water, but it has always tasted very sweet to me.

My deceased spouse, who could not tolerate even the smell, and certainly not the taste of wine, wanted to receive under both species when he converted just after our marriage. He went ahead & tried it – it tasted like fruit juice to him, and he could never smell anything except a slight odor of fresh fruit! But get a glass of wine in the house, and he could smell it from 3 rooms away! Yet, he was never bothered by the Communion wine once it was consecrated, although he could smell it prior to the Consecration! Strange how God does things for us, but beautiful! (He was not a “teetotaler” and enjoyed a beer occasionally, and Pina Coladas when on vacation in Mexico.) I was the one who enjoyed wine with a meal, and although he did not get ill when he smelled it, he REALLY didn’t like it!

What’s with this: :smiley: ?

As far as I know starch is converted into sugar when coming in contact with saliva, so this is the reason while the host tastes sweet to you.

Indeed. The same as with a slice of white bead.

I would urge everyone to stick with Catholic terminology, that reflects Catholic belief and practice. No communion wafers here, only Sacred Hosts. One may express concern about a salty Host, but not a wafer. :thumbsup:

Unless one is discussing unconsecrated wafers that are not yet Sacred Hosts.

Catholic Sacramental hosts/ wafer isn’t supposed to contain salt. This isn’t really answering the question, as with the other replies too; deviating from the subject-matter.

I once spoke to a girl who said she had a severe gluten allergy (got very sick from even the slightest amounts of wheat). And she told me that she receives communion every week without a problem.
The thing that confuses me is that she is a Protestant, so it is not a valid Eucharist that she receives. Doesn’t even believe in the Real Presence :shrug: I suppose anything is possible through God.

Well, I would say no, since I don’t recall ever receiving a salty host.

Also, if u look at this New Advent site that talks about Altar Breads:

*For valid consecration the hosts must be:

made of wheaten flour,
mixed with pure natural water,
baked in an oven, or between two heated iron moulds, and
they must not be corrupted (Miss. Rom., De Defectibus, III, 1).*

It doesn’t appear to mention anything about salt as being an ingredient.

Thanks.

I’m well aware of the results of starches. However, this would not explain the sweetness of flavor when receiving a Consecrated Host, since it is like sugar to me. The unconsecrated wafers, which I have tasted when I assisted in making the wafers while in the convent (we made & packaged them for the local Cathedral) have the taste of flat crackers, not sweet nor salty, but like a cracker without salt and almost no flavor at all. I think what some people experience either with the Holy Eucharist or the Precious Blood is often a special gift from the Lord. Since I am hypoglycemic (very low blood sugar) and I still maintain a longer fast then is required, I think this is why it is very sweet to me, and is a special gift from the Lord, as I feel energized after receiving Holy Communion. Why another would perceive it as salty, I don’t know, but in my opinion, it is also a gift from the Lord.

judyNURSE

=123Strontium;11907198]Is Communion Wafer supposed to taste salty? Sometimes the wafer is tasteless, and sometimes, it tastes really salty.

No, not in my lifes experience. ASK your priest about it:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.