Is confession an easy way out for me? I committed a mortal sin against chastity last night

After being strong against temptation for months, I was weak and sinned tremendously yesterday. I now feel that confession would be too easy. I feel that I need to repent for many weeks before I’m even worthy of the great sacrament if reconciliation given to me by Christ.
I hate myself for having fallen in the grasp of Lucifer :-((
What ia my next step?

Go to confession- TODAY!!

The only unforgivable sin is when you do not ask for Christ forgiveness.

Go to confession, be contrite, do penance… and God will forgive and forget.

Go to confession the earliest you can :slight_smile:

Really?? Will it truly be forgotten? I feel like the worst sinner possible and that I should be strongly punished. How could I be so strong spiritually, every day, THEN fall the way I did?
It is scary and depletes me of any hope for future lasting righteousness.
Thank you :)))

I know exactly how you feel, but you sound like you are approaching the point of despair. There is a good quote I heard once about this sort of thing “Yes, your sin did hurt God, but not nearly as much as your lack of faith in His love does now.” Go to confession, that is the best thing you can do for yourself and for God.

yes,it will be forgotton. confess, do penance.

and don’t get down on yourself.

we all fall short.

pick yourself up and move on.:slight_smile:

[quote="Angelina5, post:1, topic:290215"]
After being strong against temptation for months, I was weak and sinned tremendously yesterday. I now feel that confession would be too easy. I feel that I need to repent for many weeks before I'm even worthy of the great sacrament if reconciliation given to me by Christ.
I hate myself for having fallen in the grasp of Lucifer :-((
What ia my next step?

[/quote]

That is the sin of pride [you know better then God or his Church] and Lucifer [who doesn't want you to go to confession] working on you. I recently went to confession [with a lot to confess] and only had to say 5 Our Fathers. For the first hour or so afterwards I felt like it was "too easy," for the rest of the day I marveled at the true love and mercy of God. Go to confession, trust in God, and thank Him for His love and mercy.

It will be forgiven, but don't worry about Confession being an easy out for your sin. You'll still have to suffer the temporal effects of sin either in this life or the next, or a combination of both.

Go to confession! If you want to be hard on yourself, ask the priest to give you a greater penance. Most priests go easy because they don't want people avoiding the sacrament for fear of a tough penance, so they are happy to give you more if you want it.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:8, topic:290215"]
It will be forgiven, but don't worry about Confession being an easy out for your sin. You'll still have to suffer the temporal effects of sin either in this life or the next, or a combination of both.

[/quote]

Maybe for unconfessed sins, but not for the sin confessed.

All the responses are urging you to go to Confession. So do I. I understand how you feel about letting God down by serious sin. Jesus said some things are accomplished only through prayer and fasting. While your sin will indeed be forgiven in the confessional, you can practice acts of mortification as additional penance, to show God your love for Him and serious intent to not commit that sin again. Denying yourself some pleasure will strengthen your will power, so that when temptation comes again, you will have the strength to turn your back on it. Picture the Lord on the Cross before you say yes to sin. He died because of sin. Would you tell Him that His suffering was for nothing? I like to picture myself giving the devil a good swift kick. That relieves some of the pressure I'm under. God bless.

Hi there :)
I too am having some issues with my own sins against the virtue of chastity right now - and I wish I could have the peace and the privilege to go to Confession and speak to a priest, who acting in Christ's place can listen to my sins and share with me the all-loving nature of the Trinity. Take great solace in what you have, and any other further penance you feel you need to do to help bring you back on track.... I wish I had that in my life.

[quote="Neofight, post:10, topic:290215"]

[/quote]

Neofight -- Catholic teaching is that confession removes the guilt of sin (and thus, any eternal consequences). But there is still the temporal effects of sin. So that post was correct.
You can read up on indulgences and Purgatory for all the background on this idea.

[quote="MirandaRiver, post:12, topic:290215"]
I too am having some issues with my own sins against the virtue of chastity right now - and I wish I could have the peace and the privilege to go to Confession and speak to a priest, who acting in Christ's place can listen to my sins and share with me the all-loving nature of the Trinity. Take great solace in what you have, and any other further penance you feel you need to do to help bring you back on track.... I wish I had that in my life.

[/quote]

Hang in there. You know you can go and talk to a priest even now, don't you? You don't have to be a Catholic just to talk to a priest. He can give you counsel and advice, even if he can't absolve you yet. Just call and make an appointment to speak with Father in private.

You are in my prayers.

Confession, then do your assigned penance. If you want to make it up to God even further, get a plenary indulgence: go to Mass, receive communion, pray for the Holy Father’s intentions (an Our Father and Hail Mary suffices), make an act of will against attachment to sinful things, and do some indulgenced work (reading Scripture for 30 minutes, or 30 minutes of Adoration, or praying the rosary in church, etc.). The debt will be gone.

If God wanted the weight of sin hanging around our necks like millstones, He could never have become Incarnate in the world.

To the OP, don't try to punish yourself out of shame. Christ already paid the price for your sins, as many as you commit, your entire life. Nothing is surprising to Him. All is known. Just go to confession and do your penance. Do not try and assign yourself extra penance out of spiritual pride (as in, "I am the worst sinner in the world and deserve to have pain!"). In fact, if you tell your confessor that you are shame-filled, he may not give you any penance whatsoever, which, for those of us who lean toward desiring mortification, may be the most difficult penance of all, KWIM?

[quote="Neofight, post:10, topic:290215"]

[/quote]

this is not true, you will suffer for even your confessed sins.
Ask for reference if you need them.
Ubenedictus

[quote="Waiting, post:11, topic:290215"]
All the responses are urging you to go to Confession. So do I. I understand how you feel about letting God down by serious sin. Jesus said some things are accomplished only through prayer and fasting. While your sin will indeed be forgiven in the confessional, you can practice acts of mortification as additional penance, to show God your love for Him and serious intent to not commit that sin again. Denying yourself some pleasure will strengthen your will power, so that when temptation comes again, you will have the strength to turn your back on it. Picture the Lord on the Cross before you say yes to sin. He died because of sin. Would you tell Him that His suffering was for nothing? I like to picture myself giving the devil a good swift kick. That relieves some of the pressure I'm under. God bless.

[/quote]

i like this one. If i ever picture myself giving the devil a kick, im sure i will kick his butt.
Ubenedictus

Go to Confession!!

Also I would Read 1 John. The beginning of 1 John goes into detail about how as long as we acknowledge our sin, and that we are sinful, we are forgiven. But whoever says they are without sin is a liar. Whenever i stuggle with sin and the forgiveness of my sins i read 1 John.

As a fallen race we are all sinners in need of Gods divine mercy and grace, which is offered to us freely through the blood of the cross and the Sacrament of Reconcilliation.

Pax

Byron

[quote="MirandaRiver, post:12, topic:290215"]

[/quote]

hey, your post shows great understanding of catholic belief. Im a bit surprised you say you are a 'pagan'. I may not understand what that means but be sure you can talk to a priest anytime and you can send me a private message if you wish.
Pax.
Ubenedictus

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.