Is Confession Necessary, If you Masturbate Only One Time?

Hello Everyone,

So lets say that masturbating once is the only mortal sin comitted since your last confession. Will you still need to confess it before receiving communion?

I’m not sure, but the idea of confessing only one mortal sin seems a bit weird.

Please advise, Thanks.

How many would seem…not weird? :slight_smile:

I guess that people that go to confession with only venial sins on their souls must freak you out.:smiley:

It is absolutely necessary to confess even one mortal sin.

Receiving Holy Communion in a state of mortal sin is called sacrilege, which is another mortal sin.

This.

If you know it’s a mortal sin and there’s no mitigating circumstances (such as the possibility that it’s habitual/addiction) then one should confess it.

Thanks everyone, Ill confess it as soon as I can.

=kieron123;9792999]Hello Everyone,

So lets say that masturbating once is the only mortal sin comitted since your last confession. Will you still need to confess it before receiving communion?

I’m not sure, but the idea of confessing only one mortal sin seems a bit weird.

Please advise, Thanks.

YES, it is a MORTAL SIN that seperates you and God.

God Bless,
pat/PJM

Even if it is habitual / an addiction, it would still be better to confess it than to not. Confession strengthens your resolves and grants you God’s grace.

My priest told me something interesting during my last confession. It made me think about God’s grace in a new way. He told me to, after communion that evening, while still in a state of grace from confession, pray to God that the Eucharist would strengthen my resolve, and lead me to call on God’s grace each time I found myself facing temptation. He said it was like a pair of weights, if you have them but never use them, they don’t do anything for you. You have to use them to build up your strength.

The same could be said for God’s grace, if you have it but never call on it then it does nothing for you, but if you have it AND you ask for it whenever you’re faced with temptation, it can grow in you and make your stronger spiritually, and more able to resist.

Yes one must confess each and every mortal sin.

Even if the number is 1

(death by one bullet kills as surely as death by a machine gun–though the latter is worse)

Oh, I’m denying this whatsoever. Habitual/addictive sins may reduce culpability, but it never hurts to confess them.

A little like saying you are partially dead…dead id dead…like you can’t be somewhat pregnant…or partially pregnant.

Recommend below for your consideration.
Pax Christi

Here is what a person is dealing with…in Masturbation:

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SECOND EDITION

2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."139

To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

Here is what a person is dealing with…in Mortal Sin:

CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SECOND EDITION

1855 Mortal sin destroys charity in the heart of man by a grave violation of God’s law; it turns man away from God, who is his ultimate end and his beatitude, by preferring an inferior good to him.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother."132 The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger.

1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent.** It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law.** It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart133 do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

1860 Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But** no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man**. The** promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders**. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest.

1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself.** It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back.** However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

Venial sin allows charity to subsist, even though it offends and wounds it.

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Absolutely. The reason you need to confess mortal sins in kind AND number is specifically because they are so serious. Unlike venial sins, which slowly “add up” in damaging your relationship with God, just one mortal sin BREAKS that relationship.

An impromptu metaphor:

Imagine a window, made of glass (your relationship with God). You can throw a single, very tiny pebble (venial sin) – like you might find stuck in the grooves on the bottom of your shoe – at the window. It might scratch the window, but it certainly won’t break it. Of course, maybe if you threw pebble after pebble after pebble for a whole year straight it would break, but just one pebble won’t.

But if you throw a giant boulder at the window (mortal sin), it doesn’t take rocket science to tell you that it’ll break the window in one try with one boulder.

And those who only confess imperfections and one of their past sins for absolution purposes are absolutely ter.ri.fy.ing.:stuck_out_tongue:

Consider the following: It only takes dying with one unconfessed mortal sin to condemn ourselves to Hell. We know not the day nor the hour when we’re going to be called from this life. How many people who were killed in car crashes left their house thinking they were going to get killed? These are things we need to reflect on regularly.

Not a topic for Catholic Tradition

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.