Is Confirmation valid if not in a state of grace?

Hi,

I recently came back to the Catholic church (about a year ago) after identifying as non-denominational for years. I was, however, raised Catholic and received the sacrament of confirmation at age 15. I consider myself now, at age 19, very passionate about the church and believe all of it’s teachings. However, it recently occurred to me that I was not in a state of grace during my confirmation. This unsettled me, as it had never crossed my mind before and I now consider myself a faithful Catholic. I have been to confession at least once a month for the past year, though, so I know I have been absolved of those sins. When I was 15, at the time of my confirmation, I did not even know that Venial sins or Mortal sins existed. I did not understand the sacrament of confession and had not been since my first reconciliation when I was 7-- I was ignorant of church teachings and had no idea my sins meant that I was not in unity with God! Is my confirmation still valid due to my ignorance?? This realization has really scared me! Also, I am very scrupulous so I don’t know if this is a ridiculous question or not.

Thanks!

Yes, it is valid. You just did not receive the grace of the sacrament until after you went to confession.
Think of it this way: one should be in a state of grace to receive the Eucharist. If you are in a state of mortal sin you still are capable of receiving the Eucharist host and consuming it, you simply don’t receive any of its grace.
When it comes to confirmation, its not a perishable form so you have received it as an indelible mark upon your soul but its grace was dormant until you confessed and entered a state of grace.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.