Is copying library music stealing?

I have an ever growing music collection in my iTunes, with many songs I enjoy listening to on a regular basis. However, my mom has told me that taking music from the library and ripping to my iTunes is stealing.

My dad, on the other hand, says that it is not stealing-- it is in fact perfectly fine because the library pays for the music with our taxes to the government. He also brought up the point that most of the music I get from the library have already been around forever (I’m an oldies kind of guy :thumbsup:) and that those CDs which I get are pretty much not being sold around any more.

I don’t know who to follow, and I have turned to Catholic Answers for help. I know taking songs from YouTube is definitely stealing, but should I get rid of all my library songs?

I will feel really bad if it is, it’s one of those things that you don’t really think about until somebody tells you, you know? :blush:

Thanks to all, and God bless!

The following link should help answer your question. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Is downloading music a sin?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.