Is copying prayers from Internet on Sunday a sin?

If so, is it venial or mortal?

Yes, prayer copiers will be beside seat hoppers and cigarette smokers in hell.

Did I put myself in state of damnation? :frowning:

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:3, topic:316242"]
Did I put myself in state of damnation? :(

[/quote]

I was being sarcastic. Don't worry. You didn't sin by copying a prayer off the internet.

Listen to your conscience! Probably not a sin at all.

Dude, jimmy was just screwing with you :stuck_out_tongue: Lighten up!

I copy prayers off the internet all the time. Heck, I get my daily prayers from the website of an Orthodox jurisdiction, and I also get my Akathists from the internet. That stuff is put out there for the benefit of whoever reads them. Now, selling them and not giving credit/royalties to the person holding the copyright isn’t sinful, but as far as saving them and using yourself, there’s nothing wrong–that’s part of the reason prayers are posted online in the first place!

My conscience is telling me I did not mortally sin because Lord not only commanded us to rest on Sabbath but also to sanctify it. What better way to sanctify it then to copy prayers for spiritual development? I just wanted to make sure.

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:7, topic:316242"]
My conscience is telling me I did not mortally sin because Lord not only commanded us to rest on Sabbath but also to sanctify it. What better way to sanctify it then to copy prayers for spiritual development? I just wanted to make sure.

[/quote]

Don't worry so much. Things aren't so tight that you have to constantly worry about every little thing.

I think you might, quite reasonably, describe prayers as in the public domain.

You are wrong, in the Day of Judgement we will be judged by every detail of our life. Everything will be revealed in judgement tribunal… One mortal sin is all that is needed for perdition.

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:10, topic:316242"]
You are wrong, in the Day of Judgement we will be judged by every detail of our life. Everything will be revealed in judgement tribunal... One mortal sin is all that is needed for perdition.

[/quote]

Certainly grieve over sins, but also trust in Divine Mercy.

Dude you are being overly scrupulous. It won’t help you, it will only drive you crazy worrying about the sinfulness of everything. You have no reason to worry about whether copying prayers on Sunday is a sin. Some people actually work on Sunday, they aren’t breaking the sabbath.

For it to be a mortal sin, you must know it is a mortal sin and do it anyway, right???:confused:

You have strong scrupulous tenancies. You need to talk to a priest about this soon, not an internet forum.

No, the scrupulous may come here for reassurances. You are doing fine Rock House.

[quote="Regina_Love, post:15, topic:316242"]
No, the scrupulous may come here for reassurances. You are doing fine Rock House.

[/quote]

Why, so other scrupulous people here can encourage them to be even more scrupulous? It would be better to talk to a priest in person so that he can gain a true sense of the faith from a real person.

[quote="Regina_Love, post:15, topic:316242"]

[/quote]

If you spend every waking second worrying about whether breathing in and out is a mortal sin or not, then you're doing it wrong.

[quote="HouseUponRock, post:10, topic:316242"]
You are wrong, in the Day of Judgement we will be judged by every detail of our life. Everything will be revealed in judgement tribunal... One mortal sin is all that is needed for perdition.

[/quote]

Copying prayers off of the Internet on Sunday is NOT a mortal sin. Relax. :)

[quote="DexUK, post:9, topic:316242"]
I think you might, quite reasonably, describe prayers as in the public domain.

[/quote]

Not necessarily. It is very possible for traditional prayers and their English translation to have passed into the public domain over the years. Certainly common prayers such as the Lord's Prayer and the Hail Mary fall into this type. But liturgical books are copyrighted. You cannot copy the Eucharistic Prayer I, or the Collect of the Second Sunday of Advent, as examples, because they are copyrighted translations by ICEL in the Roman Missal. You cannot copy an entire Psalm out of Christian Prayer because it is copyrighted by Grail.

When copying material off the Internet, it is important to remember that fair use and personal purposes can be considered. If you are not going to redistribute it or share it with anyone, it is likely OK to save a web page or print it out for private devotional use. It is not OK to consider that anything on the Internet is fair game and that it can be copied because you are a catechist in Religious Education or a Director of Music with a choir who needs music. Those distributing worship aids in the church for Mass need to be especially mindful of copyright and licensing so that the parish is not penalized for a public gaffe of infringement after illicitly copying stuff for a year or more.

But if you were just saving prayers found on the Internet for your private devotional use, then I don't see a problem.

^ Now this explanation makes much more sense if that’s what the OP was concerned about!

Much Peace!

Mike :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.