Is cursing a sin?

I don’t know but from what i’ve read cursing is a sin if you curse others. But what if you use it in a joke or when you hurt yourself? Because i can’t believe why would cursing be a sin. Im sure most people that curse don’t literally mean what the curse means. As far as i know there is also filthy langague mentioned in the bible. This could mean that curses that are reffering to sexuality are sinful. Is that true? And if you think that cursing is a sin, which words do you think should i classify as curses?

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches, among other things, that we are not to speak the Lord’s name “except to bless, praise, and glorify it.”

I believe it is also a grave sin to say that someone is damned, though I cannot find a citation for it at the moment.

At the very least, we are wrong to utter obscenities toward someone because the Lord said we are to love one another, not curse them. It would be especially evil if we appeal to some supernatural power to inflict evil on someone or some group.

Matthew 15

And he called the multitude, and said to them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goes into the mouth defiles a man; but that which comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man. …]

those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: these are the things which defile a man

The Second Commandment

The second commandment prescribes respect for the Lord’s name. Like the first commandment, it belongs to the virtue of religion and more particularly it governs our use of speech in sacred matters. The second commandment forbids the abuse of God’s name, i.e., every improper use of the names of God, Jesus Christ, but also of the Virgin Mary and all the saints.

Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name.

In Baptism, the Lord’s name sanctifies man, and the Christian receives his name in the Church. God calls each one by name. Everyone’s name is sacred. The name is the icon of the person. It demands respect as a sign of the dignity of the one who bears it.

Of course, in general, the time and culture greatly diminish the gravity of the matter. The issue ultimately relates to charity: we want to edify ourselves and our neighbors as well as give praise to God through our speech - not defile ourselves and them, and be ungrateful to the Lord by misusing the gift of speech.

Such sin is generally venial (as St. John teaches, “All unrighteousness is sin, but not every sin leads to death”). We term “venial” that sin in which the man’s will is set upon something that of its nature involves a disorder, but is not opposed to the love of God and neighbor. “Cursing” is usually under this category - unless it is used to willfully offend God or our neighbor. Then it becomes grave matter, for the will sets itself upon something that is of its nature incompatible with charity.

I’ve always thought of cursing as either a form of laziness or lack of intelligence (or using your intelligence). Too many people take the “easy way” and use gutter talk rather than think through things and find a better way of expressing themselves. I have used this rationale with my kids and, thankfully, we don’t seem to have issues with this kind of language in our home.

Mathew 5:22 But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in danger of the judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council. And whosoever shall say, Thou Fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. [23] If therefore thou offer thy gift at the altar, and there thou remember that thy brother hath any thing against thee; [24] Leave there thy offering before the altar, and go first to be reconciled to thy brother: and then coming thou shalt offer thy gift. [25] Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

I asked my priest if cursing was a sin and he said no. (Like if you hurt yourself or were making a joke)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.